converting a 2 bedder to 3 plus toilet

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by redline, 21st Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. redline

redline New Member

Hi all,
    I am considering converting this property from a 2 bedder to 3 and adding a toilet.
    Changing the study to a 3 bedroom seems feasible, but not sure about the toilet.

The house is on timber stumps and i was thinking of converting the cupboard to a toilet, not sure if there a minimal size requirements to do this. The cupboard itself is about 70cm deep.

2_bedroom.JPG

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The study wall can be moved into the family room so your bedroom is larger, to say 3m. The cupboard will be more work. In order to be deep enough to hold the toilet hardware plus open the door, you will require about 1500mm. If you put in a shorter vanity and move the wall back, this could be done, but is it worth the cost? Being on stumps, the plumbing will be simple enough. But once you start changing fittings in the bathroom, and depending on what is there atm, you might have to start altering tiles too.

craigc, redline and Firefly99 like this.
  3. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

+1 for the comments about the room size being too small for a bedroom..

You should be getting it restumped before your do any renovations,

4. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I’d just put some ikea cupboards in the study and perhaps a built in desk and be done. Unless you were doing a major bathroom renovation anyway I’m not sure moving the toilet would be worth it given the effort involved.

5. redline

redline New Member

any reason why the bedroom to be 3m?
    The cupboard, marked in X. is adjacent to another cupboard inside the bathroom. So it could be possible to remove the bathroom cupboard to increase the space for the toilet.

I don't think it will give me the 1.5m though.

I figured that if the house was a 3BR, then only having 1 toilet inside the bathroom would put off potential renters in future? adding a toilet will a big cost hurdle but i am thinking on whether it worth it.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I just like that size. If you are going to the trouble of moving a wall - do you know whether it is load bearing? - you might as well do a thorough job rather than merely making the bedroom "minimal" legal size to be called a bedroom. 3000 x 2600 is bathroom size to me.

It wont. By looking at the bathroom on your floorplan there are two vanities, no bath, and a tiny cupboard.

Is it time to redo the bathroom to make it normal by today's customer expectations? Or is the house in a suburb where expectations are pretty low and so what you have already is perfectly fine? Ask yourself: "What is the demographic of typical renters in this suburb?" and then you will have a better idea of what to upgrade and what can be left as is.

redline and Firefly99 like this.
  7. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I don’t think there’s a minimal legal size for a bedroom. I’d think a bedroom that size is suitable only for a single bed which would be fine for many tenants.

redline likes this.
  8. Squeakywheel

Squeakywheel Well-Known Member

Not sure if this would work but what about putting a wall a meter into the living room and split into two areas.. Put toilet at one end opening from the hall way, with a small WIR with a door off the study in the other.

Angel likes this.
  9. redline

redline New Member

it's actually the location for the laundry, but i suppose it still a basin. The bathroom is only recently built in 2019.

it's a bit of a gamble really, because the area itself is mainly larger family homes 3-4 BR with 2 bathrooms.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've never had any potential tenants mention that our toilets are in our bathrooms. It's one of those things that people are passionate about.

I don't like seperate toilets outside the bathroom. Many people don't like them inside the bathroom.

I wouldn't spend any money for a rental to move the toilet outside the bathroom. If you can add a second toilet for not a lot of cost, then that is worth looking into.

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I think I'd leave it as it is. The study is fine as a small bedroom - you could add a freestanding wardrobe if you want or just leave it as is.

You would need to destroy part of the laundry area of the bathroom to get another toilet to fit and as it's recently been done I would just leave it

If you really really wanted another toilet I would take a 1m portion off the living room on the study side. Create a 1 x 1.5m toilet opening to the kitchen end and with the rest of the space from the edge of the toilet to the carport wall (1 x 1.5m) I would create a WIR to bed 3

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I just realised you want to change from two bedrooms to three. Why can't the study be a third bedroom?

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Exactly. I would call it a three bedroom house and dont mention the dimensions to the RE agent when listing for tenants. If dressing up the house, make it a nursery or young child's room.

craigc and redline like this.