Convert to boarding house impact on value?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Tim86, 24th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

So Ive got a 6 bedroom 3 bath house with a seperate granny flat. In order to rent out sections seperately I have to convert it to a boarding house.

So that means things like wheelchair ramps and widening door ways for wheel chairs and adding fire extinguishers and exit signs etc...

The property is currently in a low residential area. The conversion to boarding house would therefore only allow for rental to 5 unrelated parties. So it wouldnt be a huge boarding opportunity.

Rent would be about $1150pw.

Now my question is, if the house is currently worth $750 000 as a normal dwelling. Would the conversion to boarding house increase the value of the property. Or would it in fact limit the market that would want to purchase it a lot and reduce the value of the property overall?

My thoughts are if you get a couple hundred a week extra in rent by converting it, is that really worth it if youve just reduced the capital value of the property by 50k?

Thanks

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Whether you are going to be better or worse off depends on your individual circumstances.

There are many factors to consider before proceeding. A quick google search came up with this article which makes some very good points: Renting by the room

If the property can be easily and inexpensively reconverted it may be a good move in order to increase cash flow, but as the article states it can end up costing you more in expenses all things considered.

Tim86 likes this.
  3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah lots to consider. Seeing as how you are a mortgage broker. I wonder if you could tell me what the bank would do with the homeloan etc... if I tell them the residential dwelling is now a commercial dwelling/boarding house? Higher interest rates? Remove the loan completely?

Property is with nab

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2016
    Colin Rice likes this.
  4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Depends on what the valuers comments will be once a valuation report is triggered so it may be deemed commercial and LVR will be circa 60-70% LVR with a higher rate and different conditions applied. You may not have enough to reduce the current LVR?

Rental income will be shaded at 80% based on the current market rent as a normal residential property. So if you are collecting 1k in rent per week as a boarding house and market rent is $600 bank will use $480. This may effect current and future serviceability depending on your particular circumstances.

Not to sound like a broken record but you would be served well if you got a forum broker to run some scenarios for you based on short, medium and longer term goals with ALL the facts in front of them.

Archaon and Tim86 like this.
  5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking this whole boarding house thing might not be worth the bother.

With all the hours I would have to put in to make the house compliant, I could spend that time renovating 2 houses and make $100k.

Think I'll just be selling this one...

6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

probably no need to do wheelchair accessible. Normally can get an exemption

7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Oh okay. Im going to ignore what my current certifier is saying and email the certifier you recommended.

Thanks

Tim

8. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Your certifier is looking at accessible requirements. You either need to comply with these or seek an exemption. When you build new there is no exemption, when you have an existing dwelling then you might be able to justify based on supply of accessible dwellings v demand in the area.

Archaon and Tim86 like this.
  9. Col333999

Col333999 New Member

Hi hope you can provide your recommended certifier's contact details please for converting a big house to a boarding house thanks

10. mr_alex

mr_alex Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was curious about these valuations as well, if an investor buys a house for $500k that brings in $500 pw rent,
    Keeping the ratio, a boarding house that brings in $1300 pw, would expect an investor to pay $1.3m no?

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, the costs of managing itinerant tenants, insurance, common area cleaning maintenance, other outgoings are all higher than for a single tenant.

mr_alex likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia