Convert the garage to 4th bedroom

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ruan, 3rd Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ruan

Ruan Member

The IP I just bought is a corner allotment. so I plan to make the access to the backyard from the rear, put the double carport there and convert the existing garage to the 4th bedroom with ensuit and WIR. The main bathroom is just another side of the wall so it will be easy for plumbing.

How much does it cost for this project, you think? I can do the painting and some other easy DIY, I guess.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You'd need to check the slab is capable of being turned into a habitable room I think. I know when we looked at this last year, one issue was a garage slab was a different thing to a slab for the rest of the house (for our house anyway - an old house with the garage on a different level - not one continuous slab).

From memory, to have the room certified as habitable, we had to do this. We chose instead not to go down this path as this "room" was likely to be removed anyway, and simply enclosed the old garage and the tenants chose to use it as a bedroom or living room, their choice. But to call it a "bedroom" meant having certain things ticked off.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia