Convert property to investment

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by shaun80, 16th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shaun80

shaun80 New Member

Hi,

I have one property and I lived there for 6+ years, I rented it out 6 months ago and I myself moved to a rental property. I never let the bank know that it is an investment property (no malicious intent) it never occurred to me.

Should I let the bank know now? I understand that the rates for Investment property are more but will the bank ask for contract letter making and charge me for the 6 months?

I have been told that I will still be able to make claims if any with the ATO as an investment property and without having the bank know the same. Is that true?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

tax law looks at the use to which borrowed funds are put to determine deductibility.

3. shaun80

shaun80 New Member

As in it will look of it is indeed investment loan?

4. Terry_w

no

If you borrowed to buy the property and that property is income producing it is irrelevant whether the lender has labelled it one way or another.

5. shaun80

shaun80 New Member

Ok great! So should I be converting it to investment loan? Is there is disadvantage to not changing it?

Current circumstances any benefit if I convert it to investment loan? In terms of tenant unable to pay and for me to have deferral ?

6. Terry_w

You should read your loan contract and see if you have promised to notify the lender, and then consider the consequences of not doing so even required.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The issue can pop up if your tenant stops paying rent and you call seeking relief. Etc...