Convert Lounge to 4th Bed, has family room.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by 2ndTimeAround, 6th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Active Member

I was hoping you could get an opinion on this place I own 3 bed, large study, with the kitchen, dining and family room in one big open space but a seperate Lounge. One could argue the family room which is at the other end of the kitchen is a lounge, in fact it is set up currently like this. They had 2 70" TVs, one in the Kitchen family/lounge room and one in the seperate lounge. Converting to 4 bed will add a lot of value in this area as its seaside and is 80% families, especially if I wanted to rent it out.It has a study but its just a bit small to call a bedroom ie 2.5x2.8m. Not sure exactly. It does have built in Wardrobe which is odd for a study, but its the other side I cant build out as its the gas fireplace etc on the other side. So this is my best option. Plus the other lounge has plush carpet like the rest of the house. They didnt spare any expense with building materials, heating, cooling, HRV type system etc. Anyway my notes are in red, let me know what you think and thank you :)

https://i.imgur.com/J1Q2kN3.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

is the lounge big enough to split into a smaller bedroom plus another room,

I did that one of my IPs, gained a free bedroom for minimal cost!

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Where are the other bedrooms? Upstairs? Three?

I'd use the study as the fourth bedroom and keep a second living area. But I don't know what is looked for in your area.

I do know that when we created a fourth bedroom from what was a good sized enclosed verandah, and moved the front door so it was no longer through the enclosed verandah, that we thought we would now advertise as four bedrooms.

The house's third bedroom was smaller than your study, and original to the house.

But when we advertised four bedrooms, two thirds of potential tenants turned away because they expected a second living area and a second bathroom (or ensuite).

Our living area was the size of your kitchen and family rooms, as we had a separate kitchen, but people wanted a second living area, and a second bathroom.

We had a full width deck as well, and in Queensland that doubles as a living area for most of the year, but we just found we were advertising this house to the wrong demographic, so went back to advertising three bedrooms and small study.

4. 2ndTimeAround

Sorry my bad, the 3 bedrooms are through a doorway just to the top right of the kitchen, one is a Master with some ocean glimpses and its own Ensuite. Considering putting this one o Air BNB while we live here. The other 2 rooms are 4x5m with built in robes additional. So quite sizeable. Fit a Cali King bed no problem with plenty of side access etc. A nice bathroom with his and hers and a normal bath but with jets, so that is where we currently live as the outside is accessible from our bedroom and as you say that massive deck is our outdoor lounge. Each bathroom is fully ventilated with heat lamps etc. Internal single garage access but a massive parking spot for my 7m boat ;-p. Two garden sheds, raised veggie beds and landscaped lower beds for plants. The outlook is a massive Eucy tree in the middle of the section, it looks fab.

Anyway back to your idea of the study, so you are suggesting building the wall out to the outside of the house and moving the entrance further down as well instead of converting the lounge. Something like this pic? Note the outside wall and windows moved down. This room also gets the same views as the Master Ensuite room with ocean views 800m away, but through two house and over a roof, so its a broken view, but something.

The downside to this is the cost of extending the wall out vs putting up Gib Rock and a Door myself. Would require a builder and fairly major cost.

I know what you mean about the target audience but the majority of homes are 4 bed, but mostly with 2 story, a lot of people prefer a bungalow. The price difference is substantial as is the rent.

We would clearly move out once the change is made.I feel they should have pushed the kitchen down and made this study an optional bedroom which it very nearly is, would certainly fit a single bed, possibly a double but would be very tight, luckily the robes are super high quality sliding jobs. I hate sliding doors that come off rails etc, these things have german enginereed rails, quite nice touch.

https://i.imgur.com/eK9DUoP.jpg

[​IMG]

5. 2ndTimeAround

I dont think so, mainly due to doorways but size might be a bit small and would leave a tiny lounge. The current lounge has access to via slide to the deck. All double glazed of course.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I was not thinking about changing walls, just using the small study as a fourth bedroom.

My opinion only, but the kitchen and living room area are not large, and the dining off to the side isn't big either. Perhaps knock out the wall between dining and lounge to get a more open feeling?

But that leaves you with three decent bedrooms (not shown), one small bedroom or study and a decent sized open plan living.

But perhaps you need to get in a couple of local agents to tell you what buyers look for, and what renters look for in your area?

Is this a long term hold for rental or will you live here?

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I would leave it the way it is.

Most people who want 4 bedrooms use one as a study/office anyway unless they have 3 kids or 4 people sharing. In either case, that one living area appears to be far too small for a family or 4 adults sharing.

Other option is to fit bi-fold doors to the lounge so that it can be closed off. That way a tenant can use it as a bedroom if they choose to do so.

8. 2ndTimeAround

That is a good call.

The Study I do not think is big enough to be a bedroom, well.... definitely for kids/single bed, maybe double. Is there a regulation size that you have to meet to call something a bedroom?

Deceiving, the drawing isnt to scale, its actually really open feel. the dining is very well designed, into a snug but still open to the kitchen, uses beautiful drop down lighting both on the diner and the grainte kitchen island so makes hosting fantastic. Hes designed it so areas have clear definition but are still open feel.

ive cut off the deck at the family room end and the grass/tree area. Its open too much so that the "Family room" feels like a waste of space, although if you had young toddlers etc perfect area to play. But having 2 Televisions seemed odd when I bought it. The Lounge is more open than it looks, its not a doorway its a 10 foot opening. It was the only architect designed house that the architect did the PM book, love reading the PM log haha. Im a Project Manager but in IT, so is in the blood. I should use it on more property.

Yes this is very much long term, PPOR for now. Thinking of AIR BnB for the ocean facing room and MAYBE the "Study". Will meaure it exactly when I get a chance and add some photos. Extreme indoor outdoor flow. Best house id seen for ages, its Rate Value was $980k, but Id been studying local sales and got it for 30% less than that.

Cheers all

Last edited: 6th Jan, 2020