Convert loan from investor to owner occupier

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by liverpool77, 2nd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. liverpool77

liverpool77 Active Member

http://www.smh.com.au/business/bank...catch-out-some-borrowers-20150902-gjd46l.html

See thread from smh today explaining how many lenders switching from investor lending to owner occupier loans. I have been advised my rates could be reduced by doing this also however my concern would be the "reason" of my loans are for investing and not ppor causing issues with deductibility. Have any others had banks or brokers advise them of this/push them in this direction as article also suggests many have moved loans from investor to owner occupier. Is there not a requirement to prove the purpose of the loan so people could not just change it with no consequences? (Unless of course if audited by ato one day!!).

2. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

If you are occupying the place you can change to the occupier rate.

The security of a loan does not matter, it is the purpose.

the purpose of the loan needs to be for investment for a deduction eligibility. If the purpose was to buy the occupied place then it will not be a legitimate deduction.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Its not the purpose but the use the borrowed money is put to. If a loan was used to invest then it would be deductible (the interest) if or when the property was available for rent.

Gingin likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.