Convert 3 bed to 4 bed - floorplan help please

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lacrim, 17th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I like the way you think and pound for pound in 2770 say, an identical looking house that's 4x1 vs 3x1 will get more in rent correct?

skater likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't it come down to asking rental managers in the area what rent you'd get "as is", what rent you'd get if you added a fourth bedroom?

Make sure they have a floor plan so they know what you are losing to gain the extra bedroom.

Then look at cost to get to the new plan and take it from there.

In our area (Coorparoo) when we made a fourth bedroom, it backfired because people looking for four bedroom houses in Coorparoo expected a second bathroom and a second living room.

I'm still glad we did it because the layout has totally changed now and we have a better flow than we had but it certainly didn't get us more rent.

qak and Lacrim like this.
  3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Considered converting the garage into a room?

Can give a positive rental outcome for those that need occasional extra space. Especially in working from home households.

I am not suggesting Ruprecht live outside in the garage just a way to say there is extra over and above 3 bedders.

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Housing department build mostly 3 x 1's, so a 4 bedder will get a premium.

Lacrim likes this.
  5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

You know I don't think I've come across a single property manager for any of my IPs who've said adding a bedroom's a good idea....my personal view is they think like OOs where everything has to be perfectly dimensioned. I don't have all the answers and that's why I'm asking, but the couple of times where I've added a bedroom under the roofline, it's paid off as long as the living areas aren't too pokey.

There are a lot of renters that look for value and are price sensitive and would prefer a 4 bed at the lowest end vs a 3 bed in the middle or upper end of its price bracket.

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2021
    Pingu1988 likes this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Nah wont work, its a detached, standalone metal/colorbond garage.

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

It may come down to the suburb...the lower end where rents < $400/500, people may be less fussy. But again, I don't know it all.

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2021
  8. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Not sure how the yard orientates but is it possible to move the kitchen living to the front looking over the patio and have the bedrooms at the back with the laundry now becoming an ensuite to the larger brown room. Still small but the living area flows better in an open plan and you could enclose the patio to make it have the indoor/outdoor feel.

Attached Files:

Westminster likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The only other option I can think of is to put Bedroom 4 here by taking a smidge off Bed 3. It does mean taking out the laundry but allows you to open up the lounge/kitchen and you can probably find a spot for a cupboard laundry in the new rejigged kitchen

floorplan1 adelaide.jpg

craigc likes this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The yard is at the back behind the kitchen (unfortunately no large sliding doors atm leading to back). Be honest I've never contemplated that floorplan so thanks, will add it to the mix.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks.. that would be a 4x1. Dont think there's any room for an ensuite (if I wanted to bear the cost in the first place).

12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Correct is does not give you a second bathroom but at that price point in Adelaide they might be ok with one bathroom. What it does achieve is 4 bedrooms without compromising the living area.

Lacrim likes this.
  13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Sure it does.... Shave 1m off of the far right hand wall of bed 1, making it 3.3x3.5 (still big enough). Put shower at one end, toilet at the other & small skinny vanity in the middle, opposite the door.

Firefly99 likes this.
  14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK thanks. You did allude to that.