Convert 3 bed to 4 bed - floorplan help please

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lacrim, 17th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Hi all

one of my properties is vacant and I'm flirting with the idea of converting it to a 4 bedder. There are a few combos I can run with but based upon the existing dimensions, do you think it's too small to be a 4 bedder?

floorplan1 adelaide.jpg

2. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I think if you split the living room in two and make that bedrooms 3 & 4 while making the existing bed room 3, kitchen/dining, entrance and laundry all open plan it would fine (obviously shifting the laundry somewhere like the garage).

I dont personally like bedrooms right off the kitchen but its common anyway, and it will keep all the bedrooms at least 3m x 3m which is a realistic minimum.

The new living room would be smaller, but compensated by the open plan I guess. Even better if you could build a deck of where the current laundry exit is.

Lacrim likes this.
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Whatever you do it's not going to be much living space if there are enough people living in it to want a 4 bedroom home... but if it was worth considering I would try something like this:

upload_2021-2-17_19-9-46.png

Lacrim likes this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks, yeah there are a few variants I've come up with but in the end of the day, the total floorspace is the same, and a constraint. It really is a question of what is the minimum, acceptable living/dining space that would work.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yep I have modeled that floorplan as one of the options

6. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

The kitchen looks tiny is that drawing. Is it really that small? If so I don’t think it suits a 4 bedroom place.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I wouldn't do it. I think the cost of doing it and ending up with a compromised floor plan with 1 bathroom and only smaller living area won't be popular and/or financially rewarding.

qak and Lacrim like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd check with local agents, but it looks too small to make it work for a four bedroom place.

Lacrim likes this.
  9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Hmm, deflated.

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thee are few cupboards not on that diagram - that was the original kitchen. It's a little bigger now but that doesn't change the fact that adding a bedroom and losing 10 sqm of living area may be doing me a disservice.

Angel likes this.
  11. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I think 4 bedrooms with only 1 bathroom is not going to appeal to many.

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Depends on the suburb. Plenty of 4 bedders in 2770 with only one bathroom. Also, the smaller living, dining, kitchen open plan area is very small in many of the smaller new builds, so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I guess I'm trying to say where is the property? And is it worth the $$ to you, to do it properly?

I think there's enough room there to do it. Could also carve a tiny ensuite into the main bedroom. It's 4m wide, so if you use 1m with shower at one end, toilet at the other & tiny vanity in between, it's not ideal, but doable.

Attached Files:

Lacrim likes this.
  14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Council approvals needed for compliance?. 4 small beds with very small living space and one family shared bath is not going to add value. Opening between kitchen and family may enhance property appeal and use.

Angel, Lacrim and wylie like this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Property's in Adelaide (south) in the Marion LGA.

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Can't help in that area, sorry.

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Definitely will make it more open to remove that wall but just can't help myself...would love to make it 4 beds, even if I had to add an ensuite.

18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Principle's the same though skater wrt to 3x1 or 4x1/4x2.

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Seen the size of those bedrooms? 3.2 x 3.2 aren't small beds. My home has 3 x 2.8 for the secondary rooms. Now, that's small.

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Oh, I understand.....but some people have issues with 4 x bedders having only one living space and/or bathroom. Look at all the new builds on the budget end, and they all have one living area, so I honestly don't see the problem.

Areas like ex housing commission areas only had one living and one bathroom for 4-5 bedroom homes. Other areas like Hills district may have huge McMansions with multilple living areas and multiple baths for the same number of rooms. So, I guess what I'm referring to, is that so long as it doesn't stand out as vastly inferior to other homes in the area with the same number of beds, and you are prepared to pay what it costs to convert it, then do so.

Lacrim likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.