Conversations that make you want to facepalm

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 30th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if somebody said this to you and you facepalmed or...you're in the wrong thread?

bob shovel likes this.
  2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

o_O

Speaking of facepalm conversations. In fairness; I possibly shoulda qualified the context.

It is not literal to every single topic on earth.

The context of that statement was in relation to race based conversations (here on this forum) and about supposed racism comments and views when anyone calls up a fact....the Civ Lib handwringers go bananas, call you a blasphemer, whip in a report to the Umpire and the thread gets closed down...

Just had a thought; we need a faceplam emoticon....SIM?? :cool:

Last edited: 30th Nov, 2015
  3. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Nonsense! Every 'true sydney-sider' that I have spoken to knows that Sydney ends at the Anzac Bridge. Anything past that is just "Too Far!" :p

Bayview, Scott No Mates and Blacky like this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

People who label those complaining about Islam as racist. Islam is a religion, not a race. Complaining about Islam is not racist.

On the same topic, people who call for every mosque to denounce terrorism every time there is another attack. We didn't call for the Catholic Church to denounce terrorism every time there was an attack in northern Ireland.

HUGH72 and Bayview like this.
  5. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

When on a Caribbean cruise the CD asked the typical "where is everyone from?" First he asked Who's from Florida? Big response of course. Then "who's from outside of Florida? Big response. Then he starts saying Oh California? Texas? And rattled off half a dozen states, then moved on to the next topic. HELLO!! There IS life outside of the old US of A!

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Why? As Forrest said "stupid is as stupid does".

7. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

And you read things ......literally.

Christmas / Santa. Both are amalgam of different religious and cultural beliefs, that the Catholic Church took advantage of to recruit and convert.

Both Santa (or its traditional origins) and Christmas are still celebrated in countries like Italy.

8. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I get that all the time. Gets a bit old.

9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Vaccines cause autism (THEY DON'T).

I don't want your treatment I'm going to take ....... instead.
    Where ...... = any evidence free 'natural' remedy including, but not restricted to: vitamin C, ketogenic diet, acupuncture, higher dose vitamin C. (Instead of a cure, these guys come back and often just need a palliative care referral. I've NEVER seen a cure, or even an improvement with a natural remedy. EVER).

10. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Hehe..yeah, sorry, I probably took it to the same extreme that you did.

I get your point, and yes, I have seen it happen. In my experience, people who are making a genuine point, don't preface it with 'I'm not........, but....'

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

"I don't want to cause offence, but I'm just going to say something offensive. "

12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Oh that's sad.

Travelbug likes this.
  13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I love these - so funny.

We once held a seminar and the speaker was talking about the benefits of solar panels in investment properties. Someone asked - genuinely -if using them would wear out the sun.

14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yep. It's very hard when I can offer a very good chance at a cure, only to have them come back too late. The door is always open for a mind change, but there is a time limit that I don't set. And I don't pull punches, they make a very active decision NOT to have recommended treatment. When they are my age, with a young family, it kills me.

Jeah_, WattleIdo and Xenia like this.
  15. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Dude..that side of your job really has to suck :/

Bran and WattleIdo like this.
  16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Not as much as the ones I can't help, that want me to. I might make an awareness post soon...
    (And I can't carry everyone else's illness. We get reasonably good at switching off).

Bayview likes this.
  17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Bran - coming from a research background I tend to also have this view point. People react emotionally to things they don't fully understand. Lack of education and fear. I'm not into making other view points wrong but when people say vaccines dont work - they are a scam...

I do point out the results of some clinical trials I did - vaccinated animals were protected, unvaccinated animals died with a subsequent viral challenge.

I've had people challenge all sorts of government alterior motives and they want to poison us .... I am not the government and I for one have seen vaccines work and have written a few scientific papers on vaccines that I had designed myself - that worked.

At least in an animal clinical trial model.

You know where this discussion is going to turn to now don't you ;) - perhaps a new thread.

WattleIdo likes this.
  18. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Was floored a couple of days ago when a neighbour said he had never heard the word 'ostentatious' before [used in context of a house for sale], asked me the meaning, he is in 70's.

Bran and Xenia like this.
  19. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I don't enter the debate anymore. It makes me sad though. If we 'chunk up', we can reach an agreement. We all want what is best for our children. I am not up to date with current vaccination literature, but I completely trust those that are. They told me I need my whooping cough booster for my new baby coming, its been 5 years since my last. And I will.

I have a simple rule with my babies and others. No vaccination? No visit. No cuddle. No contact. Debate is NOT entered into. (This is effective, we have very cute babies ;) )

hobo, Gockie and Xenia like this.
  20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I'm not going to say anything about non-vaccinators because I'm in too deep. If there'd been rubella vaccinations around in the mid-60s my sister wouldn't be deaf and blind and life would've been very different for my sister and my family. If my mother's SIL had stayed away things would've been different but most of the time people are contagious before symptoms show up. That's the case with German Measels.
    @Sim1 I cant turn off the Italics.

Bran, Travelbug, Xenia and 4 others like this.