Conundrum!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TAJ, 13th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

At my wedding my future spouse's pretended father (real father was overseas and unable to make it!) gave us two great advises:
    1. If you wish to have a family and wish to start do so, don't compromise, I know many wealthy people who have money/wealth and kids/families too, so don't think you need to sacrifice children or your family for time, job, position, status, travels, money, etc... if starting a family is important to you!
    2. Why get married, why have this piece of paper, what word of advise can I give you for staying married?
    If your marriage is a priority, not your job, or career, or your travels, or adventures, or other...then you will be together, you too will live a successful married life, but remember it needs to be Number 1 always, no matter what the life circumstances throw at you!
    Why get married?
    Well because in this current world we live in with say 7 Billion people only your spouse that person will be there for you, will travel their journey with you, with all the experiences whether good or bad, will be the only one that truly really cares for you!

I wish at more weddings people offered such great advise instead of long speeches how great their kids are!;)

So instead of giving advise maybe mention these and let them decide what is really important to them? :)

2. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

It's a fairly ritzy area. The National Park is quite spectacular. Many restaurants, bars in the area also.
    Enjoy your time there.:)
    I think you need to get a grip and not over think things.
    The world is a good place, you are making it seem bad. LIGHTEN UP!

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Was that post to me..?

4. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

no not at all.

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

ah ok I see now two separate replies. :)

6. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Meant for a reply to MWI post

7. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I don't see it as bad at all on the contrary!
    I thought I was giving positive advise..?:eek:

wylie and Lizzie like this.
  8. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

To have kids if one chooses too and to stay married...?:)

9. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

I didn't see it as negative, either, but I assume it was a response to the notion that (paraphrasing) you can only rely on your spouse in this world. Most people I know also have parents, siblings, children, and trusted friends (amongst others) that they can rely on.

10. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Sorry MWI, I simply overreacted. I had been trying my best to stay out of the situation and letting them sort it out for themselves.

11. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Yes children can do that to us, I have 2 grown ups now but still with us and sometimes they just know it all.:p
    As spouse suggested to me..."stay out of it"....let them sort it out and live and learn?:(

wylie likes this.
  12. significance

significance Well-Known Member

There are all sorts of reasons you might have a "whoops" moment at 48. First, no contraceptive method is perfect. If you use a contraceptive method with a 99% success rate from the time you are 15 to the time you are 48, there's a 28% chance that you will get pregnant at least once over that period (1 - 0.99^(48-15) ~=0.28). Outside perfect clinical trial conditions, the actual failure rates of many contraceptives are >5%. A 5% failure rate gives you >80% chance of getting pregnant at least once in 33 years (1 - 0.95^(48-15)~=0.82).

Another factor to consider is that women in the 30s and 40s are inundated with media messages that their fertility has fallen or is about to fall off a cliff. While this is true important for women who want to get pregnant to consider, women who do not want to get pregnant are not presented with the facts most relevant to them: at 39, it is still (for the average woman) MORE LIKELY THAN NOT that you will get pregnant if you have unprotected sex during ovulation every month for a year. The chance of getting pregnant in any particular month has plummeted and you shouldn't count on getting pregnant at that age if you do want kids, but the cumulative chances of pregnancy over a year are still high from the perspective of women who don't want to get pregnant. Typical media reports don't make that clear, so I have no doubt that many women start to get lax in their contraception as they get older, in the mistaken belief that pregnancy is unlikely.