Contracts - signing every Page question .

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by See Change, 4th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Whenever we have signed a contract for buying / selling property , signed an agreement with a
    PM for management etc , we are always asked to initial every page . Obviously the implication is that if it's not signed , then it's not valid . Is that correct ?

Does the same principle apply to other contracts ?

This is more of a curiosity rather than of actual legal significance .

As of about two hours ago I've left my current job . In the last week my employer asked be to sign a document confirming my agreement to certain conditions of my contract . Given I've already agreed to this , they have a copy of the contract I saw no reason to do this . I checked with my solicitor who's view was that you should never sign anything you don't have to so he agreed with me and said they'd probably lost the contract .. ( they haven't ) .

As I was leaving today , I had a chat with the boss , wished them luck and shook hands . Again she asked if I could sign the document and forward it to them . I told her what my solicitor said . Nothing more was said .

I have not intention of breaching any of the conditions , but was puzzled why they wanted me to sign something I'd already agreed to .

I was discussing a property related matter with my wife and we were talking about a contract when I realised when I signed the 15 page employment contract , no one had initialled the individual pages .

As I said I've no interest in breaching the non disclosure clauses ( which are the clauses in question ) but if there was a dispute further down the line , does the same principle apply ?

If they don't have a contract with initialled pages , does that mean if there was a dispute , the contract would be invalid ?

Cliff

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Your solicitors advice is good.
    No reason to further bind yourself further.

And there is no legal basis for signing every page of a contract. It is just evidence that could be used against you at a later date.

KateAshmor and Paul@PAS like this.
  3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I thought it was to stop unscrupulous persons amending and inserting a page at a later date :D

legallyblonde and Stoffo like this.
  4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Email exchange prior to signing of a contract can constitute valid terms and acceptance of a contract - even if the contract itself is not signed. All depends on the wording exchanged but the courts are taking a very liberal view due to the electronic transactions act.

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

What he said.

An agreement pertaining to those conditions exists. I guess they received advice that you should sign on every page. I don't always ask clients to sign on every page of the contract with me but certain documentation, I would get them to sign on every page, such as Affidavit.

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

After reading and verifying all details are correct I will often initial or sign all pages of a contract, loan or otherwise for this reason :cool:

My bank stuffed up my last loan, and we're quite embarrassed :mad:

Call me paranoid :eek:
    But better safe than sorry :p

It is also why you/each party check the the sales contracts to ensure that both are identical and no pages missing at signing/exchange ;)

7. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Any contract of consequence I initial each page, and keep a scanned copy for a "just in case"

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

It's not paranoia, its just a higher state of awareness :D

Stoffo likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.