Contracting/Finders fee

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Tony Fleming, 10th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Hi everybody just wondering if anyone had experience with contracting employees or using finders fee for jobs. Essentially we are in the process of expanding our business to include other services. There are some jobs we don't feel comfortable doing and would like to either pass the jobs on for a finders fee or have a contractor in place when they come available. I feel a contractor would be the best way to go in case they do a bad job o think it will be easier for us to monitor the service they provide. But then I think we need to pay super etc does anyone have any experience in this?

2. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

What industry and type of work/jobs would the contractors be doing?

Without knowing the above and generalising, you would need to read the ato rules on contractors/deemed employees.

But on relation to super etc, if you pay the contractor the same amount including super as you do an employee then same same?
    I assume you are not paying payroll tax.
    Only real additional cost will be workcover having them as an employee (assuming they will be on casual basis and don't accrue leave entitlements)..

Happy to discuss the ato rules on contractors with you if you want to PM me..

Tony Fleming likes this.
  3. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

I'll send you a PM now :)

4. SonOfTrigger

SonOfTrigger Well-Known Member

I work as a contractor - white collar work. I accept fixed term engagements, usually to achieve set tasks, and am paid an hourly rate including super. There is occasionally opportunity to be either PAYG or a Pty Ltd contractor (doing the same work) where i am responsible for invoicing the employer and my own super payments, but its rare enough that i always opt for PAYG.

Tony Fleming likes this.