Contents Insurance for backyard fence & Fence installer recommendations

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jaik2012, 20th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jaik2012

Jaik2012 Well-Known Member

Question on Contents insurance:
    Portion of my PPOR backyard timber fence got ripped off during the last week storm. I did fix it temporarily and asked for my insurer to provide quote for the replacement. Insurer has accepted the claim and will be sending the quote soon. Excess amount I opted for is $1000.

While waiting for the quote from Insurance company, I tried quotes from other tradies and it is coming between $1500-$2000 for colorbond fence. Say insurer comes up with $2500 quote, wondering which would be the best option i.e. Go with insurance company or using a tradie myself? If I use the insurer, would premium be jumping higher next year?

Also, any recommendations for Fence installer around North West region would be great.

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

This is always the thing that concerns me but in the end shop around, even if it increased a couple of hundred it's still peace of mind.

I'm in WA so can't recommend anyone, however...

Personally... I'd avoid making a claim for it, espec with 1k excess, either pay the tradie/handyman or DIY.

Tradies quotes will be mostly labour, little for material, be done in a few hours, very good profit (believe me I used to have my own bus doing it).

Seriously, installing colorbond from scratch is very easy, provided the work area is clear of tree roots etc.
    (without pic) In your case it's far simpler, just a repair, all the posts are already in/concreted, the bottom rails are likely ok, prob all it needs is replacing any mangled sheets and top rails.

It all goes together easier than meccano, only need a drill, measure whats required & purchase it from Stratco (provided they have the same contour)

Check youtube for how-to's, if you need more help just ask

3. Jaik2012

Thanks @WestOz. Here is the pic of my timber fence after the storm. No posts at the moment. Have to replace the entire timbre fence with colorbond. Plus side is that the work area is pretty clear barring few weeds. There's plenty of space at the back as well for the work to be carried out easily.

Attached Files:

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

lol... I wasn't with it last night, missed the "timber" bit, rambled on believing you were repairing colorbond.

Either way its easy to do, can't see how many metres you need but looks long.

Did the tradie quotes include removal of old? (mind u its decent firewood, even in a 1/2 44gal drum out the back with a beer, or could be used to make features/things)

If me Id measure it up, get a quote from Stratco for materials (incl 2bags of pre-mix cement per post) see what price they give you and compare it to the tradies quote, with consideration to your time & frustration DIY etc.

Incase not aware, whoever owns the adjoining block should be going halves in whatever it costs (looks like open space so perhaps council)

5. Jaik2012

Thanks. It is 15m length. $1500 is just for installation as I have been telling the tradies that I can take care of the removal part coz they are charging $600-$800 in their quotes. Thinking of DIY at the moment as got some confidence after watching few YouTube videos.
    Will check with Stratco as suggested by you & take it from there.

6. Jaik2012

@WestOz - just thought of giving a quick update. The builder engaged by Insurance company is ready to install timbre fence if I pay excess of $1000. He said I need pay the difference amount for my preference of colorbond fence. So, I would need to pay $1000 + cost difference which could be easily couple of hundred dollars min to the builder.

As suggested by you, I dropped by Stratco and got a quote. It is costing close to $700 including delivery for DIY. I'm not going ahead with either tradies or the insurance builder. Rather I would wait for the timber fence to last till mid or end of this year and replace with colorbond myself.

Thanks a lot for all the inputs.

7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit sus to me
    From my experience insurance Co's usually prefer colorbond over timber (price is same/equivalent, in WA anyway), if it's an option as some estates demand timber.

So not sure why the installer would be asking you to personally pay extra, it should all be via insurance.
    If you wanted to replace it with brick insurance would only pay the lesser quote amount for timber or colorbond, less excess.

Did you get quotes for both timber & colorbond? if so what were they.
    Did insurance agree to full fence replacement or only partial timber which was damaged?

Jaik2012 likes this.
  8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

For fencing Scott Addisson 0412152245

Jaik2012 likes this.
  9. Jaik2012

I have to pay the excess fee of $1000 for builder to attend site & provide quote for colorbond. If am happy with the quote, need to pay the cost difference. Else, he will take care of replacing the timbre fence with a new one i.e. the whole fence.

10. Jaik2012

Thanks Dave.

11. Jaik2012

Quick update @WestOz - managed to negotiate with the builder to install colorbond fence without any extra charge above excess of $1000. Job done & looks good. Insurance premium didn't change (due this month). Switched to a different insurance company & did mention about the claim but no effect on the premium. I guess it could be the storm damage that does nothing to the premium. Thanks everyone for all the inputs.

Attached Files:

12. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Glad it worked out for you.
    Certainly an improvement, although kind of a shame the open space paddock view is gone, highsight perhaps something like pool fencing would have made the place look/feel more open