Container Homes

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by iinvestor, 23rd Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. iinvestor

iinvestor Active Member

Hi,
    Have a splitter block in Brisbane, Corinda. 809m2.

Dont have enough capital to build 2 conventional houses. Average 350k for a single 2 storey house on a 400m2 block. Looking at ways to have passive income by renting 2 houses.

Has anyone had any experience in building a container home? Looking at reducing the building cost to an absolute minimum for a 2 x 2 level 4 bedroom house.

Will this even be allowed by the council.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

BCC website
    Town planner
    I imagine the answer is no. Councils and State Government have development standards to ensure the amenity of a street isnt turned into a trailer park with containers, relocatable and budget prefab / kit homes. In BCC this may also mean a subdivison also needs to occur as two homes on one lot are highly restricted for use. ie The no GF rule doesnt allow one home + GF. You can build it perhaps but not rent each.

3. iinvestor

iinvestor Active Member

Thanks for your input Paul. I totally understand in terms of Council regulations. I don't think a container home really needs to look like stacked up containers in a trailer park.
    I have seen some amazing designs and well architecturally designed .

The Cronulla 2 story home | Container Homes & Pop-Up Shops

How else can one bring the price of the build cost down of a house other than paying at least $350 - 400k

Any thoughts ?

4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

There was a container home built in nearby Graceville which made it onto Grand Designs.. I would recommend having a watch of the episode. The owner was a builder, so he reduced construction costs considerably, but I highly doubt it is an economical solution for a novice.. the concept hasn't gained enough traction in QLD imo. If you did manage to get a cheap build, I doubt the end product would be very desirable..

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Image 27-3-20 at 3.53 pm.jpg
    This house was very nice, but it still cost a fortune. I don't think a container home will be cheap, certainly not if you don't want it to look like a vacant lot with a container sitting there.