'Contact Agent' for sold price

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Whitecat, 13th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

This has become more and more comment on realestate.com.au but the sold price is not listed on now and you have to contact the agent.
    I can understand why Agents do this because if you are a homeowner in the suburb wanting to know what it sold for they can maybe get a lead on selling your house and if you are someone looking for a property in the area they can direct you to ones they have listed.
    What I would like to know know is whether or not this information does eventually come online I'm assuming they can't withhold this information from the databases forever?

2. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

i woulda thought "contact the agent" means it sold for less than what was initially asked and the agent wasn't too proud of advertising of their failure to get a good price.

But it could be just another annoying fad from the REAs. I noticed in my area at least its all "by negotiation" or "all offer considered" with no listing price, unless the listing been around for a while.

Good morning to you too by the way ;) Back to bed for me, damn it's humid tonight...

Skyegirl and Whitecat like this.
  3. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I'm in nz atm.
    What I'm seeing is the "contact agent" is becoming much more frequent. I can see where you are coming from though in terms of low price.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The agent is lonely or bored with their existing network and just wants someone to talk to.

They see this as a way to expand their contacts and to find out who is active in the current market.

Whitecat likes this.
  5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

The sale will eventually be registered with the state revenue office - at that point it should show up on desktop vals like residex.

Cheers

Jamie

Pumpkin and 2FAST4U like this.
  6. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

You can generally work out the price range if listed on realestate.com.au by working with the max price

7. Dmarkw

Dmarkw Well-Known Member

They usually get updated on Realestate.com as well once sales price registered with state office

Ross Forrester and Whitecat like this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I asked for my purchase price to be suppressed from the websites as I thought it was too cheap for the area and I didn't want everybody to know what a bargain it was.

Agent did that but said the price will show up after about 3 months, and it did.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

There is one local sale I've looked for (sold about August 2016). It doesn't show up on the sold sites at all. Very strange.

Whitecat likes this.
  10. Svdw10

Svdw10 Member

Morning, considering im fairly new to the game, i find this slightly annoying myself when shopping around, more hoops to jump ;). Its clearly REAs finding new leads. My questions is how often does everyone else actually contact the agent to know the price?
    Btw does the sale price also show "under contract" on the paid property data platforms, pricefinder ect..?

Whitecat likes this.
  11. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

It depends on how the office works.

Sometimes the agents will disclose all price, sometimes they will only disclose the great results or suppress the really bad results.

However there are agencies that suppress all results as a policy, it really depends.

12. wylie

But don't they eventually show up on RPData? Can the agent really stop that?

13. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I am focussed on a very small area so I have a relationship with the good agents already and they know what every property has sold for recently.

There is really no problem in calling REA's. They might also tell you about something coming up.

Sales data also appears on websites afterwards if you are just mildly curious. I am fortunate as well in that I have RP data.

14. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

re.com and domain is free which is what the general public will use.

Most home owners will not subscribe to RPdata (or similar services) due to the cost.

The company that I work for reproduces public development/planning and tracks the project... You would be surprised that some people don't like us publishing the public information... Even had a builder one time call and say to remove their details from the database even thought it was on the actual projects website... Only happened once that I know of.

15. wylie

It's fairly easy to get hold of info from RPData. But this particular house is not listed as having been sold on any of the sold sites, more than six months after. I've not bothered to try to see if it is on RPData, as I'm not curious enough to go to the trouble, but more curious to know how they keep prices from being shown.

I recall seeing a local agent's own house, showing on RPData with no price showing. I wondered if agents can get away with that or if it eventually shows with a price? I'd have thought RPData would not pander to the whims of agents.

Whitecat likes this.
  16. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

My IP1 use to be public. But the business was wound up and all of that agencies sold properties disappeared.

17. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I wish I did this! My IP2 was an awesome price. He had 50+ enquiries by the time I signed the contract 24 hours after listing. That night is was advertised as under offer, five days later when finance was approved it was listed as sold! His phone must have been driving him nuts!!

Gockie likes this.
  18. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I will ask if I want to know and it just sold.

19. big max

big max Well-Known Member

My guess is it's not so much about price but more re.com trying to provide value by helping agents create leads.

20. big max

big max Well-Known Member

I'm the same on the Gold Coast suburbs I focus on. Have a direct line to all the key agents who keep me up to date on recent sales and any sales opportunities in the pipeline.

Darren344t and Ross Forrester like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.