Constructive loan structure advice required

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by The Prestige, 15th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Prestige

The Prestige Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I have been given an inheritance and looking at investing in my first property. Here is my situation

PPOR valued at $500 000
    Owe $288 000

Inheritance $310 000

Currently parked most of the inheritance in an offset and extra in a savings account.

Just looking for some general advice for loan structure and from a tax perspective.

I don't want to box myself in for opportunities in the future.

My wife and I have a combined income of $148 000

I would like an offset on both loans and the investment not secured against my PPOR

Cheers

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Depends on a few things

firstly keep ALL your cash

secondly, try and borrow 105 % of the total land and build cost.

assume for a minute the land and build and costs is 525

secure 125 ONLY to the ppor, and thence 400 only to to be the land and Build

that removes the need for cross coll and allows the max tax benefit

All that may not be possible if the income to debt ratios dont work out, but a variation of the the same theme would work

Who is your current bank ?

ta
    rolf

The Prestige likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

get some specific advice from someone qualified. You might want to pay your loan down and redraw to invest so you can get owner occ rates on investment use

The Prestige likes this.
  4. Harper Lee

Harper Lee Member

The best way forward is to look at the tax structure first and balance out what you need in regards to tax deductions today and the CGT component when you sell in the future. You'd need to speak with an accountant about that and model your cash flow today and the future to determine a good investment vehicle. I think Newcastle is looking pretty good especially if the port development goes through. I just moved to Melbourne from Merewether and miss the weather already.

You don't have to cross collaterise your home with an investment property most of the time, so that is not a real issue. If you're looking to do a loan to cover the purchase price + costs, it is possible without using your home for equity release. Since you have significant cash, you can use a portion of it in the form of a term deposit to secure with your investment property.

The Prestige likes this.
  5. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Good call on not cross collateralising properties and it surely won't be required ...

And best to sit down with your accountant before pulling the trigger.

The Prestige likes this.
  6. The Prestige

Hi Rolf thanks for the reply! Yes I have kept all the cash liquid. My 'bank' is Newcastle Permanent. So just so I'm clear, this senario even with some dept still residing in my PPOR the purpose of the loan is for investment. Hence able to gain the max tax benefit. Cheers mate

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Im not a tax guy, but our clients have had this type of 25/80 lend for 20 years and their tax people have been ok. Perhaps ask your own adviser in that area pls.

Typically the purposes of all loans is for that investment.........the security being not relevant to deductability, but does hurt to confirm with your tax person .

ta
    rolf

8. The Prestige

Hi Tez thanks for the reply! Does this still have the same tax benefits as Rolfs scenario? Do you know of anyone that you can recommend in the Newcastle area? Sorry for these questions but I'm and electrician an all of rhis is new to me. Cheers

9. The Prestige

Ok what made you move? Merewether is a great spot! Seems like a need to sit down with a tax accountant as Rolf and Tez have said. Thanks mate

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You will still be able to borrow in full for the investment property so, if you set up right, you could claim 100% of the interest. But you might be saving a few thousand per year in interest payments because you are getting owner occupied rates on some of it.

You can seek advice on the tax side from a lawyer or a tax agent.