Construction loans and Equity

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Viet Nguyen, 8th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Viet Nguyen

Viet Nguyen New Member

Hey Team,

I am looking to purchase my PPOR and just running through the numbers but not sure if i am doing this correctly?

1. Purchase PPOR $570,000 P&I loan - Loan amount $540,000, LVR about 95%
    2. Complete renovation in 9 months
    3. After renovation value about $650,000 - Loan balance after 9 months about $531,000, LVR 82%
    4. Complete DA application for Subdivision 1 into 2, build new home on subdivided block and keep existing home on other subdivided block
    5. Now this is where i get stuck, applying for the construction loan to build the new house.

Firstly, am i even in a position to be able to apply for a construction loan if my LVR will be 82%?

Secondly, the value of the subdivided land will be worth about $140,000 (before subdividing, the total land value is about $300,000). The construction cost is about $460,000. Adding both together, $600,000. I believe a lender may be able to lend me up to 90% of $600,000? So i'll be able to borrow $540,000?

Thirdly, what documents will i need for a construction loan? I assume the DA approved plans and consent letter and a builders quote, is there anything else?

Fourthly, is it difficult to obtain a construction loan in today's market? Which lender would you go with? And why?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

lender could lend 90% of land and construction - potentially. You will need to include both blocks as they will be one title until subdivided.

Construction is not hard in this market.

See a broker for some credit advice.

Viet Nguyen likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

May work, IF you can get subdiv BEFORE construction starts, otherwise your valuation will likley have a 15 to 25 % haircut due to non completion risk, because the product will have a limited market, and significant costs to get to completion

In one line or OOT ( on one title ) vals risk sink many higher lvr projects such as this, and the focus needs to be to get the separate title before construction lending

ta
    rolf

Viet Nguyen likes this.