Construction loan - what happens if I lose my job halfway through?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by wrigs, 29th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wrigs

wrigs Active Member

Hi there,

I'm currently researching the details for my first demolition/subdivision construction project. I'm trying to figure out what would happen in the worst case scenario that I lost my job partway through construction.

Scenario:
    Bank loans me money for a construction project. They use my current income to assess my borrowing capacity. However, several months into building I lose my job and my new job doesn't pay as well. The builders are paid in stages and still have several months to go to finishing construction. I'm able to pay the bank the interest repayments on the loan even with my new, lower paying job.

Question:
    When can a bank pull out of our loan agreement? If they already agreed to go ahead based on my previous income, can they opt out of the loan if my new income doesn't satisfy their borrowing criteria?

Thank you,
    L

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Once it's all approved and settled, they won't recheck your income so it's all good. But if you think there's a high risk of the above happening, I'd suggest having some decent risk management in place.

wrigs likes this.
  3. wrigs

wrigs Active Member

Thanks Jess. I don't think there's a high risk of it, just want to be aware of what would happen if it did happen.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I am not sure without reading a lender's agreement but would think that as the settlement of the loan occurs before they start paying out the loan, in stages, they would be contractually bound to continue paying the loan instalment payments tot he builder - assuming no fraud involved.

But seek your own legal advice before signing docs or committing to build.

wrigs likes this.
  5. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

In practical terms once the loan is approved and first progress payment made, they generally don't go back reassessing the ability to afford the loan.

There's no doubt T&C's hidden away which give the lender the right to at any time/call in the loan - but if in the scenario the loan was being paid on time without issue I doubt it would get to that point unless a red flag was raised.

wrigs likes this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Even so

No lender wants to try and market an unfinished prop as a MIP

Ta
    Rolf

wrigs likes this.
  7. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Will they - no (so long as you don't default, etc). Can they - maybe (legal question). Incentives are for them not to either.

Sackie, wrigs and Terry_w like this.
  8. wrigs

wrigs Active Member

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies. Very helpful.