Construction loan processing

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Hyhk, 19th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hyhk

Hyhk New Member

Hi all,

I am going to see my mortgage broker later this week but I would like to know some facts before I see the broker

1)

Deposit: I read articles and forums saying 5% deposit is the minimum and actual deposit requires around 8-9%. I have been looking at land + house around $480,000 and it would be around $40,000 deposit.
    The question is that if deposit requirement is $40,000 , is it included FHOG ($10,000) ?
    I was wondering 8 - 9% is with FHOG or just genuine saving itself

2)

Also, I was wondering how I show my deposit when I apply for the loan? Do they find out by looking at my bank statement?

3) Finally, I was wondering it is a benefit if I apply for a home loan through the same bank I have been dealing for long?

Thank you very much

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

To answer your questions -

1) 8% is ideal b/c you'll need to add on mortgage insurance. If the total adds up to more than 95%, your rates will be crazy. The FHBG can be used as funds to complete.

2) Yes, they'll need to see a bank statement with savings growing over 3 months with no lump sum deposits.

3) Not in terms of rates or anything like that. In fact could be a disadvantage.

If you're looking to build, with a LVR that high its going to be imperative that you do it as house and land in one go, rather than land and a pre-app for construction.

Vals come in so low at the moment that if you do it separately there's a very real risk the final val will be lower than contract and there's no room to move.

3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Yes the FHOG can be used towards and included in the deposit amount.

4. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

1 - seems about right due to LMI, however FHOG can only be applied at construction stage ( slab stage) and not be used as part of land (only) settlement.

2- being an LMI deal you'll need to show 5% savings for 3 months via statements.

3- depends who has the better offer.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice