Construction cost / sqm thread

Discussion in 'Development' started by wombat777, 18th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Might have already been answered but how do you define "medium standard"? And doesn't "medium" differ depending on where you build and what the demographic expects? I'm looking to build in Melbourne in an area where the end product (townhouse) should fetch around $1.5-1.6M. Some of the things expected as standard would be double storey, 2.7m ceilings throughout, squareset cornices, floor to ceiling tiles, 40mm or thicker Caesarstone or equivalent benchtops (either top or 2nd tier), 2 pack joinery, Euro appliances, ducted heating & cooling, engineered floorboards, etc. Should I be looking at the $1900 per sqm price range?

2. Mustafa Salehi

Mustafa Salehi Well-Known Member

@jyeung80 with the specs above you would be looking to pay slightly more than $1,900 per sqm with a reputable builder at today's rates but as you may know it's dependant on many many other factors.

3. jyeung80

Thanks that's what I thought. Having said that I've sent the same images and details to about 4 different builders and have been given rough estimates between $1800-2200 per sqm. When doing a feaso, that basically takes it from just breaking even to being quite profitable.

4. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

This is a big problem I having with development feasos - knowing how much to cost a build at when the two ends of the ‘reasonable’ range take the project from woeful to wonderful returns.

5. mezi

mezi Member

Hi All

Any recommendation for builder for townhouse in illawara. struggling to find some who can gives good price to make profit in developing a site

Regards

6. jyeung80

Could the 2 storey townhouse figures be used for a 3 storey townhouse? Assuming adding the third storey would be more expensive. If so, what sort of % should I add on top?

7. Aaron Duffie

Aaron Duffie Well-Known Member

Anyone have cost per m2 for Newcastle for small unit/townhouse developments?

8. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Basement? Lift? Lightweight construction? How many stories?

9. Aaron Duffie

Aaron Duffie Well-Known Member

No basement or lift. Can you provide figures for light and heavy construction for 1 and 2 storeys if you have it? Thanks Shahin

10. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

$2,000-$2,500 per sqm depending on a bunch of stuff like site costs, etc.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia