Construction cost / sqm thread

Discussion in 'Development' started by wombat777, 18th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

2. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

I have given the link, see my previous post.

3. wombat777

I see, apologies. Quite a useful resource given a construction cost estimate was provided.

The floor area table is below. Total floor area 1168.58 sqm = $1026.88 / sqm ( assuming $1.2M construction cost is valid and likely an ex-GST figure ).

IMG_0403.jpg

Edit - BMT calculator estimates $1.98M to $2.41M for the following inputs:
    • Melbourne, 2017, 3-level unit complex including lift and ground floor parking, low spec, 1168 sqm ( includes site works, basic landscaping and builder's margin )

Last edited: 7th Feb, 2017
  4. Iamnumber5

My noob understanding toward BMTQ calculator is as below:
    Total living area is 745,3 m2 ( excluding the balcony and car port, but include common area as explained on the bmtq website).

BMT calculator estimates $1.26M to $1.54M for the following inputs:

Melbourne, 2017, 3-level unit complex including lift and ground floor parking, low spec, 745 sqm ( includes site works, basic landscaping and builder's margin ).

It is somehow confirm the estimated construction cost in the planning permit application. Note that the project does not include lift.

I am hoping any builders here could confirm the accuracy.

wombat777 likes this.
  5. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

Basement figures include escavation hence the extra cost further down you go. However demolition & remediation should be separate or budgeted in their own contingency.

Say Site area of 1000sqm, Carpark GFA 900sqm

Basement 02 - 900 * 1100 = 990k
    Basement 01 - 900 * 1000 = 900k
    Leaves Escalation = 90k

Again, these figures are higher tier builders so I would not be surprised if you could minimize these costs dramatically.

Their costs are often minimized by risk, project size/$$, insurance, experience, unions etc to name a few.

I've attached construction estimates. Perhaps escalate by *1.0125 now just for contingency.

wombat777 and Adele like this.
  6. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

Adele, wombat777 and Iamnumber5 like this.
  7. Iamnumber5

Your calculation for low spec is $1,509,645 (higher tier builders).
    Is $1,200,000 reasonable estimation for lower tier builders? Hence confirming the estimated amount given in the planning permit.

wombat777 likes this.
  8. wombat777

Averaging @LukeR's figures for all floor areas we get:
    Low - $1,282.95 / sqm ( 71.4% of BMT $1,795 )
    High - $1,920.06 / sqm ( 78.2% of BMT $2,455 )

So these costs are approx 22% - 28% less than BMT costs. That might be looking good if representative of tier 2/3 builders.

Estimate - 133 Anderson Road - Albion.png

NB - BMT includes all the following in their SQM rates:
    • FECA - Fully Enclosed Covered Area
      • Includes basements, attics, lift shafts, staircases, garages, columns/piers, penthouses (and units)
    • UCA - Unenclosed Covered Area
      • Roofed balconies, attached covered walkways, open verandahs, usable space under buildings, porches and porticos

9. Iamnumber5

:)
    I am confused now:)
    So the estimation construction cost of $1,200,000 for that project is not right?

10. wombat777

It might not be realistic, unless their are lower-tier builders that can achieve this very low pricing.

Try and use conservative figures for your estimates, so going any lower than 30% below BMT figure might be too optimistic - particularly for a low-rise.

Perhaps look for other planning permits and do similar checks using the above method. Gives you a better feel for where costs should be.

11. wombat777

Napier & Blakely have a number of datacards available on their website and appear to be the ones used by @LukeR above.

Prices are ex-GST. Note the significant differences in price ranges for 2-Storey Townhouses for Brisbane and the other cities. For medium standard 2-storey townhouse, lowest price is $980/sqm and next closest is Sydney and Adelaide at $1550/sqm. Perhaps represents the volume of Townhouse build activity and maybe competition in the SEQ market?

For my townhouse feasibility in Moreton Bay I'm using $1,315/sqm which is the midpoint between $980 and $1650.

Sydney

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 3.14.09 PM.png

Melbourne

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 3.14.21 PM.png

Brisbane

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 3.14.32 PM.png

Adelaide

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 3.21.32 PM.png

Perth

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 3.13.46 PM.png

Last edited: 2nd Apr, 2017
    cstar, mcarthur and EN710 like this.
  12. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Anyone know roughly how much $/sqm it would cost to build a 3 storey walk up high end apartment with surface level parking in Perth?

13. wombat777

14. Starkey

Starkey Member

Great idea for a thread. Has anyone recently completed a development in Adelaide at all?

15. Bris Jay

Bris Jay Well-Known Member

I'm having a lot of trouble knowing the best way to price/build the build of two houses at the same time on a splitter block.

Houses will be about 280m2, two storey with finish will be medium standard. Things such as stone benches, 2590 ceilings, ducted air-con, etc. I'm getting really fed up with project builders that almost force you to make variations and then won't give you a price until you pay a deposit.

Have you found that drafting plans and then going to a builder broker to be the most cost effective method?

16. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

I would avoid project builders unless building speci homes in New estates to minimize costs. Get in touch with smaller builders that can build what you want. Project builders don't like variations, as they purchase everything in bulk to get better deals that then allows them to pump out house and land packages cheaper then the rest. Even just changing tiles ect can be a costly exercise with them.

17. Bris Jay

I've been to most of the project builders and they are all more expensive per m2 than the private builder that I'm about to sign with. I've approached three with the intention of building exactly as per the plan with just little changes like high ceilings, larger front door, etc. Every single builder adds about $20k to their quote for site works.

My small builder has been great at giving credit where building two at the same time saves on equipment hire, delivery costs, etc.

It will work out at around $1,180 m2 complete turn key.

13242, magyar and wombat777 like this.
  18. magyar

magyar Well-Known Member

Who's the builder if you don't mind posting?

19. Bris Jay

I'd rather not say. He built the last project for some close friends of mine and he's pretty much overflowing with referral business. His prices went up about 10% in the last year due to demand so I'd rather not have more competition for his service!

magyar likes this.
  20. Sailesh Channan

Sailesh Channan Member

In 2018, we have seen some price increases largely by the suppliers for items such as concrete and timber in Brisbane and surrounding cities. Work place heath and safety is also becoming a issue in the building industry so expect price increases in the near future.

Our base prices start at $715/sqm which is up form last years base rate from $695/sqm