Considering opening up new home/small business

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by r3ckless, 10th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. r3ckless

r3ckless Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I remember as a young kid around 12 years old, a family friend at a BBQ once told me, you'll never work harder for anyone else but yourself. This has stuck with me, and I want to give it a shot in opening my own business on the side of primary PAYG income that myself and my wife earns.

What I would like to know is that potential deductions I am open too? ie laptop expenses etc, I'm more so inclined to know how I can have this business with deduction, that will co-incide with my race car. I would like to use the race car as a primary form of advertising as the sector I am looking at getting into is automotive... Would all expenses part of the car be deductible is what I want to understand.

Cheers!

2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

just a word of advice, tax effective strategies are always important to consider but you should focus on how you're going to make money from this business first instead of what the best way to spend a dollar to save 30c is.

3. r3ckless

r3ckless Well-Known Member

yep, totally understand it. ive been doing it for awhile and it is profitable, but looking to formalise it all, and see if i can claim expenses...

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'm sure you can legitimately spend money on marketing, which might include sponsorship of a racing car.

However, just be careful that you are actually running a business which is reasonably expected to generate a profit - if the ATO becomes convinced that you are merely attempting to structure your tax affairs in such a way as to avoid paying tax, they might take a dim view of your operation.

Make sure your business passes the "duck" test.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What is the "duck" test? Guessing "if it looks like a duck and swims like a duck, it probably IS a duck"?

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

That'd be the one. Basically - if the business looks like a business, acts like a business and is run in a business-like manner, then it probably IS a business and not a tax avoidance scheme.

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

kudos

I call it the PAYG mentality,
    unless you are very lucky or are have some amazing product
    thinking of what tax deductions are going to the best for your payg income means its completely the wrong mindset.

like those people that ask "will I get annual leave when I start my own business?"

8. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Automotive industry ay...
    I import cars from Japan & UK as a side business to, any tie-ups possible?!

Hahah

9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think the answers to your questions are more likely to come from a good accountant after a very detailed discussion.

You're looking for reasonably specific answers but the questions and information you're proposing are extremely broad. I imagine that car imports have all sorts of taxes and trade implications that most people on this forum aren't going to have a clue about.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia