Conscious Parenting - why kids SHOULD talk back to their parents.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Xenia, 24th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'd think 'no' and 'why' is a natural state for kids :D

I prefer kids to understand something about taking responsibility of their own actions. At a certain point in someone's life, there will be time that they can no longer use bad parenting as an excuse of their own behavior, that's what I think anyway :oops:

Tyler Durden and Brian84 like this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

That's true but good parenting makes it easier for the child later on.

EN710 likes this.
  4. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I read something once (can't remember where) along the lines of: the qualities we want to encourage in a 25yo, we try to discourage in a toddler...
    I want my kids to question authority, think strategically, change the status quo, and part of that includes them questioning me on the way I do things, and calling me out if they think I'm doing something wrong.
    The challenge is getting them to understand that being part of a community (family and broader) means that sometimes you have to do things you may not want to do, that compromises have to be made, and that there are consequences to actions...

Cheers,
    Inertia

Mooze, Westminster, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  5. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

No and why is all I have been hearing lately from my 3 yo son

MTR, inertia, Westminster and 2 others like this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

So he is perfectly normal.

MTR and Brian84 like this.
  7. JessicaP

JessicaP Well-Known Member

Parenting for a Peaceful World by Robin Grille is an awesome read if you are into this stuff.

Finding a balance between permissive and authoritarian parenting is important and where I'm seeing people fall down a bit (permissive parenting can be just as damaging as authoritarian). Robin calls the balance "authoritative" parenting.

I like to treat my kids like I would treat any human - I don't hit them (I wouldn't even contemplate hitting another adult, why is it acceptable to hit a defenseless child), I get angry with them when they are a*holes, I explain and try to show appropriate behaviour in each situation and try (try!!) to be patient while they learn. It's called respect ;)

MTR and inertia like this.
  8. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Yep just a normal 3yo. I like him asking me why about things. Means he is learning.

Xenia likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Tell that to my 57 year old brother - everything is someone else's fault. :rolleyes:

Xenia, MTR and EN710 like this.
  10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Define good parenting :D

It's a mythical beast with many faces

JessicaP and Xenia like this.
  11. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Isn't it?

Redwing likes this.
  12. JessicaP

JessicaP Well-Known Member

Good parenting is theoretical. I think at the end of the day if you are genuinely trying that's what matters. I also think that parenting has gotten.....more complex.....in recent times (since easy access to info on the net. Analysis paralysis can happen when raising a child too ;)

wylie likes this.
  13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are perfect parents out there, I'm not one of them.

The article was more about being conscious not to suppress children and allow them to develop into who they are meant to be.
    So many adults still exhibiting behaviours that appease their parents expectations of them instead of being themselves. That's what happens when children are invalidated and moulded into something a parent wants.

This is not about not setting boundaries, good parents know the difference between correcting a bad behaviour and putting down the child for producing it.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia