Congratulations to NSW Liberal government

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Illusivedreams, 24th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that Labor wants everybody to be equal. Even Communism these days as practised in Russia and China allows for plenty of capitalism.

And the Libs don't believe in pure capitalism either.

Both parties acknowledge that there's a need to support those unable to support themselves to some extent - as long as it can be proved that a person genuinely needs the support. There is a place in the system for empathy and kindness. That's why there's the dole, hospitals, disability support, the pension and so on.

The difference is just the degree to which support is required to the individual vs the needs of the corporation.

I think that in Australia, it's generally not too bad from either party - ALP obviously has a stronger leaning towards workers, Libs towards companies. There have been much bigger differences in the past, but in general, I feel that good compromises have been reached. Unions, for instance, are not as strong as they used to be because the treatment of workers has improved immensely, thanks to government oversight and rules (from both sides to varying extents).

But I support ALP because I feel that their support for the underdog is a little better. I'm with @shorty on this - there's always room for some tinkering around the edges.

I don't support either party's treatment of current refugees on Nauru. While border security is important, these people have been made scapegoats for all maritime asylum seekers. While both parties have been demonising boat people, many thousands more are arriving by plane (as @shorty has mentioned).
    9554 arrived in 2015-16; 18,290 in 2016-17, 27,931 in 2017-18 (311 per cent surge in Chinese nationals applying for asylum in Australia and various other sources). Yet boat people still seem to be the main focus of the government.

Lizzie and shorty like this.
  2. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

In Australia. Not othey countries.
    Every none who works their butt off can move classes.

You know why because a forklift driver is on $30+ per hour.

A hospital cleaner is in on $27 per hour.

If you work 6 days per week 10 hours per day. Like I and many many migrants dud. You can and will love up the class food chain.

Sure if you have 4 kids and a stay at home wife. It's different but that's a decision for the individual.

Back to topic.

I'm over the moon .

I'm also glad the F6 stage one will probably happen among many many other projects.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's just more expeditious to target those who try to come here without passports.

Francesco likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree with some of what you said and disagree with alot of it. Politics is one of those things i rarely argue or debate because its generally pointless and tends to go round and round. I don't know how you have the energy for those Trump threads!

See Change and kierank like this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes things happen though. A person might not be able to get a job in the area they work, or in their area of expertise. People can have accidents or get sick. People can be ripped off (both workers and businesses). It's good to have a safety net for this sort of thing.

6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I don’t agree with this at all. Part of the reason we are where we are is because of social system and SOME of tax transfers that tend to redistribute SOME of wealth.

This opens up more opportunities for those who work harder or have a drive to innovate. Countries with strong social systems tend to be the wealthiest and most stable countries.

It buffers me to see that some “pure capitalist” cannot see how this system benefits them directly :rolleyes:

marty998, Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Even I've worked that one out.

The M20 bus goes from Mosman to Alexandria/Green Square. One squarely well off area, the other historically not so. The bus creates jobs, redistributing wealth to those who provide services to the inhabitants of the other area. The well off cannot source cheap labour locally (but don't care where they come from), the working classes can't find work locally and must go further afield to get money. The bus magically delivers cheap labour to their door. The bus benefits all even if they don't all use it.

9. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Obviously I'm an outsider to NSW politics, and I tend to have a negative view of Liberal politicians (I was very happy when Matthew Guy received such a humiliating defeat in our state election) but couldn't help make the comment last night when having dinner with a friend, results being screened by the restaurant, that if GladysB was to come and join us over dinner, we would enjoy her company whatever our politics. True? Showing my ignorance?

10. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

maybe some have already decided on a labour fed govt, and so natural balance is a lib state

11. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

It is all relative. For the last 20 years NSW Labor has been so bad with corruption and also lack of any investment. So when Liberal took over they just start building infrastructure, and they just kept going and going. Sydney Metro second stage is coming, then the western harbour tunnel + beaches link, not to mention WestConnex + NorthConnex, plus all the redevelopment of NSW Hospitals (I work in one of them). It just makes NSW Liberal look so good comparing to NSW Labor, and I used to vote for Labor with my family when I was young .....

Gladys has done Transport portfolio + Treasury role before becoming a Premier. So she is experienced, and she takes the bus from Willoughby to city regularly. I am very happy that she won and get another 4 years of more infrastructure building, which means more jobs.

Illusivedreams likes this.
  12. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Now that we can agree on ;)

13. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

But this tinkering around will never satisfy all, if we have a good manager it will be for good if we have a bad manager it will be for bad.
    So the initiative should be from us people to change our situation around, so I like how my mentor Jim Rohn said:
    - Don’t mistake movement for achievement. It’s easy to get faked out by being busy. The question is: Busy doing what?
    - Economic disaster begins with a philosophy of doing less and wanting more.
    - Humans have the remarkable ability to get exactly what they must have. But there is a difference between a “must” and a “want.”
    - It doesn’t matter which side of the fence you get off on sometimes. What matters most is getting off. You cannot make progress without making decisions.
    - My father taught me to always do more than you get paid for as an investment in your future.
    - The worst thing one can do is not to try, to be aware of what one wants and not give in to it, to spend years in silent hurt wondering if something could have materialized – never knowing.
    - There are some things you don’t have to know how it works – only that it works. While some people are studying the roots, others are picking the fruit. It just depends on which end of this you want to get in on.
    - We can have more than we've got because we can become more than we are.
    - You cannot change your destination overnight. You can change your direction.
    ...and two of my favourites...
    - Each of us has two distinct choices to make about what we will do with our lives. The first choice we can make is to be less than we have the capacity to be. To earn less. To have less. To read less and think less. To try less and discipline ourselves less. These are the choices that lead to an empty life. These are the choices that, once made, lead to a life of constant apprehension instead of a life of wondrous anticipation. And the second choice? To do it all! To become all that we can possibly be. To read every book that we possibly can. To earn as much as we possibly can. To give and share as much as we possibly can. To strive and produce and accomplish as much as we possibly can.
    - Your personal philosophy is the greatest determining factor in how your life works out.

SO it is really up to us how our life turns out....

kierank and Noobieboy like this.
  14. Noobieboy

Generally it could be up to You. But it is not really. See in countries with no transfers it’s hard to break out from a particular socioeconomic slice you are in. Happens but hard.

Take Mongolia for example. No social system whatsoever, country rich in resources, yet poor generally. Now swiftly go to Kazakhstan, almost the same resources yet much wealthier population? Why? One has some social transfers and another doesn’t.

Now guess which one of these has a much more dynamic market, more small businesses and faster growing innovation sector?

It’s a democracy... fortunately :D

An example, true

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

A great example of how money transfer (via social services) works for everyone is using the US as an example where they don't have the "services" - and it doesn't work

Was readying an interesting article on the lack of mom&pop small businesses and self employed innovation businesses - the lack of both results in the US is falling behind in innovation. The main cause of the lack of these businesses is the cost of health care.

If you have to pay $15-20k in health care insurance each year - otherwise a simple broken bone can lead to bankruptcy - then you're inclined to go "work for the big company" and have your insurance covered.

Sounds rather roundabouts and swings but makes complete sense

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You're wasting your time my friend. Either ppl get it and come the the realisation by themselves or they wont. Too laborious to persuade anyone to shift their fundamental philosophical beliefs. Dont bother . Keep plucking the fruits in life and let others keep plodding along with their excuses and not much else if they so choose.

Last edited: 25th Mar, 2019
    kierank likes this.
  17. Noobieboy

Love this part, I agree that there is a lot in what we do that decides where we stand.

MWI likes this.
  18. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

You got that in one :D.

Illusivedreams and Sackie like this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yes ..yes...What can I say...not Short on cleverness...i fit the Bill on that one. :p:D

Illusivedreams and kierank like this.
  20. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

C’mon, stop it!!!

You always remind me of BS ;).

Sackie likes this.