Confusion on building a single or double storey on my 16x28 block

Discussion in 'Development' started by Laksh, 10th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Should i build double or single storey

1. Double

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Single

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Laksh

Laksh Member

Hi i'm a first home buyer and looking to build a 28sq double storey on a 16x28 block in Melbourne's outer south west (30kms to CBD, just under 1 km to the local train station, 500-600mts from big medical centre and soon to be expanded shopping centre, under 1k to existing and future schools - govt and private). 1.5km to the river (riverfront to be developed).
    Cannot decide what is best to build on the block. Want to build a double storey as I will be close to and facing a park. Plus i have a liking for a double storey. But my budget only allows a smaller double storey house, size as mentioned above fits the budget. But this plan leaves apprx 10mts backyard. Not sure if this, combined with the fact that its a smaller double storey, is a good thing or a bad thing, in terms of the future resale of the house (5yrs plus down the line). What is the likelihood of recovering my money plus make profit out of it.
    Another option is to build a single storey of similar size and either save the money or use the saved money (from not building a double storey) for better finishes. However 28-29 sq single will leave very little backyard considering the total length of my block. So is it again a good thing from resale point of view? Adding to this the scenario of using the saved money for better finishes. Is this going to help the cause (resale) or just waste of money.
    Hope to hear people's thought. Thanks in advance. :)
    [​IMG]

2. Laksh

Laksh Member

Double storey site plan
    House on the block.jpg

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

More importantly, which way is North?

4. Laksh

Laksh Member

Hi Joynz, the block is north east facing.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I can't see the single storey plan - can you reload?

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Do you mean the front door faces northeast or the rear faces northeast?

7. Laksh

Laksh Member

Front door faces north east

8. Laksh

Laksh Member

Single storey site plan

2017-12-10 16_33_53-reddy-laksh-601-clodburstavenue-macleod2662016.jpg

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

So most of your main living areas at the back of the house won't benefit from winter sun.

Of course, if you have a direct line of sight (and sunny aspect) to a park from the first floor living - if view can't be built out - that may compensate, in my opinion.

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Have a chat with local REAs if you can and see what the major demographic of the area is for resale.

I think the 2 storey one with the larger garden could be a real winner for families and may reduce the number of windows on the west side of the house that the single storey is most likely going to have. Future owners would have space for a pool, swingset etc etc

The orientation as joynz says isn't ideal but it depends on the upstairs layout as well.