Education & Work Confidence coaching worth it?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hash_investor, 3rd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I have been presented an opportunity to enroll in a confidence coaching program at a significant discount. The rest of the money will be out of pocket but can be tax deducticle (my accountant says?). Has anyone here enrolled in anything like that or is it worth it?

The point of interest for me is that they promise to prepare you for leadership roles and that is something I have been looking forward to for quite some time. In an introductory sessions they have given us an idea what would it be like. Its about being assertive, being involved with the team and practice reasonable arguing. I think they may be helpful for a leadership role.

The concerning thing for me is that they want to provide all sessions over the phone.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's run by a "confidence-man".
    You're probably better off joining toast masters, or if you want to shell our some $ then maybe a Carnegie course.

I haven't tried either, but plenty of people tell me it's been helpful for them.

Be careful with your accountants advice, unless you can show the course is directly related to producing income with your current job, the course fees aren't a tax deduction.

charttv, S.T and Ross Forrester like this.
  3. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Over the phone ? Omg !

I just had a situation tonight at a Korean restaurant where i ordered but decided not stay after a loud party arrived next to me.

The security guard was trying to bluff me with a arrest even though i hadnt consumed anything.:rolleyes:

My confidence skills into action and they agreed to let me exit after i think they were pretending to call the police on me , I insisted on waiting they tried their bluff and it didnt work wantng me to cough up for a meal i never consumed but orddred they said.

My confidence at calm talking finally convinced them not to pull the wool over my eyes:eek:

Learning by a phone cant do that , you need to experience it .

Get yourself into situations where you can experience it And stay away from a phone course !!
    How do u get your confidence up ?

Have you ever tried haggling in a shop ,?

4. qak

qak Well-Known Member

You don't sound like a great customer - had them make a meal to your order and then left? Leaving the restaurant to bear the cost of it - they can't help it if some other customers are "loud"!

Humphrey and Lizzie like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There are lots of different types of leadership courses. If you are an employee in a reasonably sized company, your workplace might even pay for one.

My workplace recently held a leadership course for managers. However, for lower level employees there are ‘frontline leadership' courses too.

I would recommend an in-person course rather than over the phone. A group course is really useful to practice situations with others - talking to a staff member about issues, negotiation, assertiveness etc.

EN710 likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Over the phone - I wouldn't bother. Over the phone you lose 80% of communication - the nuances of body language and voice inflection.

Join your local Lions or Toastmasters, or do something face to face.

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I conduct my sessions over YouTube. Here's a snippet

Let me know if you're interested :p

But in all seriousness, toastmasters. It's like $20 to join.

Perthguy and Phase2 like this.
  8. hash_investor

Thanks for the suggestions. And yes I have considered it even attended one of them to see what they do. The thing with toastmasters is that they dont challenge you enough. They don't confront you and your views in a way that a work colleague would. I see toastmasters good to prepare yourself for a funeral speech not a work meeting. Or may be it was just the group that I attended. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am based in Sydney if you have any recommendations.

9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am confident that you will do you dough :D.

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Ask yourself, what do you stand to lose? You can attend them as guests and don't have to pay if you're concerned about $20 or so. ;)

Gotta start somewhere. You'll be surprised how challenging some of those things can be.

Random table topics where you got to speak for 1-2 mins with zero time prep. It's harder than it sounds.

Gotta learn to walk before you run.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

What sort of leadership role are you after ?

Lots of different paths to achieve it - but generally you work your way up initially.

What does your current employer think about your ambitions?

12. MyDarlinghurst

I can put you in different situations.

Have you tried driving a taxi or Uber where you will be confronted with different people/situations especially on Friday Saturday nights where your assertiveness may come naturally to drunks, young people, etc etc , that will push you into situations where you have to be confident and assertive at times , believe me !

I had a Uber driver tell me last week that when she first started driving Uber she was a meek and underconfident middle aged woman who was a former librarian who has become confident .

She told me she had 4 older teenage boys in her Uber last Friday night who thought they could muck up on the trip , one of the boys had his head out the window shouting to girls on the street and then decided to " moon" passers by.

She stopped her car suddenly and pulled over and turned around and told this guy
    " Stop being a DH and " Get back in the seat and put your seatbelt on ! Otherwise you are all out and walking from here , is that understood? Now !!!!

They complied with her request and she told me they didnt move for the rest of the trip.
    She says before driving Uber she could never have had the confidence to do that !

Last edited: 4th Apr, 2018
  13. hash_investor

:D ... I am fine where I am :p

14. MyDarlinghurst

No your not ... you need to put yourself into challenging situations ... challenge yourself pass your comfort zone!

15. hash_investor

yeah... i understand that and I do think I handle these situations better than a few years ago now. I did haggle at a shop last week to exchange a bad product in front of other customers.

I am looking to find that sweet spot between confident and cocky ***hole at work place.

16. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Leadership in the corporate environment is often leadership conferred by authority and not "earned "

A good way to learn servant leadership is to work with a bunch of voluntary or not for profits or indeed try and build an mlm buisness

Working with volunteers vs prisoners hones leadership skills pretty quickLy

Ta
    ROLF

Phase2 and Property Twins like this.
  17. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Likely a complete waste of money appealing to your ambition and ego. It's a great way to extract money. A pointless course as I bet it is not accredited.

If you want to become a leader then you need to be the best person in your field and that requires blood, sweat and usually tears (yours).

You'll learn more confidence and assertiveness doing volunteer work for minimal cost and others benefit.

18. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Skype should probably be the minimum if being coached via correspondence.
    If they can do phone, they should be able to offer Skype too and if not they may be hiding something.

19. Smuh5

Smuh5 Active Member

It sounds interesting. Is it possible for you to share a link or ad about this type of coaching?

I personally think it’s better to do this type of leadership training face to face ina group environment so you can do role play in a safe place so it gives you preparation in whatever situation you are in.

20. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I wonder who can accredit and vouch for a leadership course :)

The government perhaps not

ta
    rolf