Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Conduits advice

Discussion in 'Development' started by SaberX, 7th Oct, 2015.

1. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

Just wondering what size conduits people put into their switches to accomodate for a potential fan (20,25 or 32mm) cabling? How about as far as heating lights in the bathroom down the track go?

I was reading this whirlpool archived article and it got me thinking about futureproofing for future reasale by providing wall box/face plates and conduit to each bedroom as I assume you can then drop cabling down from your NBN box to the relevant rooms for cabled access?

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1932485

I'm not very electrical savvy - does one need to conduit the NBN box in the garage too to allow for future cabling to other rooms (Even if I put conduits in those rooms)? I know one can just have the existing data cable point stream wifi through the house via dedicated router, but figured having hard wired NBN data cables to various rooms /areas would add flexibility and also resale value if ever need be. Particularly with the tech heavy future?

And what size conduit would one recommend for future proofing theatre/TV spots - I've heard you need 32mm for HDMI's? Is there a standard number of conduits and sizing one would recommend for everyday household theatres/tv areas etc? (I've already chucked a 32mm in for foxtel as supposedly it needs to be that big).

Any other conduit or electrical addition/placement advice for finalising at prestart? Or anything to futureproof?

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

How expensive is it??? Its a easy job to run a cable when the walls aren't sheeted. Doesn't make sense that it can be cheaper after climbing through the roof drilling timbers and dropping cables.

I'd be putting in power points everywhere in a new place.

3. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

$67 per Double GPO.
    $198 for an additional telephone cable/point, tv antenna and i believe data point would be same?

25mm conduit to wall box: $49, 32mm version: $82

conduit to light switches: 20mm - $37,25mm: $44, 32mm: $66

more lighting electrical side (but may fit in with conduit considerations and future proofing) - dimmer switch : $119, two way switch $59 (not sure about 3 way), additional light point $52. So far i've got one standard junction box in most rooms. and will plan to add any ceiling LEDs or dimming lights post handover.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

More comms are becoming wireless eg smart tv, Bluetooth phones, keyboard etc. How much connectivity do you think you'll need?

As for conduit - useless without draw wires. AS 3000 governs how many cables you can run.

Why have a second electrician do work post handover? If the original builder puts the LED lighting in then you'll have the load properly balanced, right number of circuits and wiring sizes.

You've decided upon single phase power so this may come back to bite you.

5. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

Well i personally dont use bluetooth devices as much but even wired or not i wouldnt be running a keyboard or mouse etc wired up a conduit regardless. So bluetooth on those are irrelevant for me.

Conduits useless without draw wires? Can you elaborate/explain? I would be putting conduit to a blank faceplate wallbox??

I was putting junction boxes in a room to the switch hence why i wanted to ask about conduit sizing to each light switch so i could then wire up additional lighting to a second or third switch in addition to the preinstalled junction box.

Why no LEDs through builder? Well everyone said it costs a bomb through a builder compared to post handover like anything you do yourself. So i figured if so maybe id get the builder to install a junction box to switch plate so at least wiring and switch is running and add the ceiling light holes, lighting etc myself.

I dont know enough about three phase power but so far the builder and lighting supplier rep have mentioned that 10/15 w led lights would draw minimal power to require an upgrade.

Provisonal phase 3 power upgrade is 700 bucks... Ive left it in subject to taking it out once fixed costs is known, given many reckon one doesn't need it even with the ducted reverse cycle air cond in (since no pool etc)

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I recommend 50mm diameter for HDMIs - i.e. the same pipe used for ducted vacuum systems. Also make sure they use large turn radius for any bends. That should be future-proof.

When my PPOR build was done they put in 50mm ducted vacuum pipe for my Home Theatre projector cabling, however the idiot electricians put in 4 tight 90-degree elbow joiners in the run, when only one was really needed.

Subsequently I could not successfully get HDMI cables through the pipe.

The fallback solution I came up with was to run CAT5 through the pipe and use powered HDMI converters.

Edit - Also don't bother with foxtel cabling - waste of money. Just have sufficient coax antenna outlets. On-demand via apps on Smart TVs, Apple TV, Google Nexus Player, etc, etc is where it is heading ( which all runs on wifi / wired networks anyway ).

Last edited: 12th Oct, 2015
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Personally I wouldn't be adding anything other than normal power points and antenna points in 3 rooms - family room, theatre and master bedroom (optional)

Anything else seems overkill for an IP and I don't think will necessarily help in the long term. I bet all the neighbours of the IP won't have it either.

bob shovel likes this.
  8. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

Wow 50mm, i dont think i can even select that option. I heard 32mm was pushing it as size wise some builders think it starts to affect the structural strength of walls.

Interesting your conduits had bends, shouldnt it just be a straight pioe straight up wall to ceiling roof space?

True points Westminster.

Is there a WA law to have diff conduit. Online googling there seems to be an orange conduit mentioned for electrical power cables vs seperating power cables from other cables in the standard conduit.

I thought id just place several conduits 25mm)(smallest theyll do) with wallbox that could be converted to cabling, data points. Telephone or antenna line down track. And fall back was you could put in another double GPO. That way if you ever didnt need the powerpoint you could remove.

Whereas chucking in a dgpo will get you no conduit in place and no way to change the powerpoint to something else. But it seems we need to use a different conduit if we entend to use the conduit to run another DGPO or the like?

Or is there no such law or requirement in WA and i can get away with just specifying 25mm conduit with wallboxes and use it for w/e down the track?