concrete or ashphalt

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by tgan, 4th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tgan

tgan Active Member

Hello forum friends!
    Bit of a dilemma so I hope you can help me decide.
    I have just completed a granny flat out the back of a house i have in newcastle and am about to decide on the driveway and parking bay options. Currently there is a an old driveway that is two long strips with grass in between, enough for the tyres only that only reaches to the back of the house. The concrete strips have are looking a bid dodgy. So I am looking to replace with a new driveway, plus a space for the tenants to park and be able to turn their cars around. First concrete quote has come in at about $25k ! and that led me to search for alternative options. Ashphalt appears to be a cheaper option (yet to have it quoted), but I wondered if anybody has used it a driveway and parking bay option.
    Thank you in advance,
    Tegan.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Swings and roundabouts - by the time you excavate, lay and compact 100 mm crushed rock, 100 mm roadbase and 40mm asphalt with kerbing/edging timber it's about the same.

Any less will end up with a surface which will not last under vehicle loading.

3. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

How many square meters? $25k should be covering 250 sq meters this is at a cost of $100 per sq meter which is on the high side of the range.

Correct pricing for asphalt is not much less than concrete.

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

concrete or ashphalt - concrete will require almost zero maintenance whereas ashphalt will not last as long over time.

5. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

Just did a new driveway in Newcastle last week. Concrete with cove finish.

Cost came to around $65sqm all up. That is excavation, removal of old concrete drive, tipping fees, formwork, packing sand, reo mesh, concrete and labour.

How big is your driveway? I can let you know some local trades I use if interested.

6. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing, I've recently got prices as I need to get a driveway extension done of approximately 22sqm. Cheapest price I've got is $115 per sqm. Not sure if prices in Wollongong for concreting are exxy but some of the prices I've received are mental. If anyone has recommendations please share :)

7. tgan

tgan Active Member

Hi drg86.
    The driveway is about 40 meters in total length, plus parking bay for a car and turning circle. I reckon maybe about 150sqm? Hard to say because I am interstate and the property is in newcastle. PM me your ph ctc and I can ring and discuss. But your costing sounds good! Also, what is 'cove finish'. Pardon my ignorance. :)
    Thx
    tegan.

8. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

Sent you PM @tgan

Just to clarify to others reading the thread I have family in the construction trade so that $65sqm rate I quoted is a "mates rate" and actually doesn't include my own time/labour spent on this recent job. Including my time and less discounts it is around that $110/sqm. The variables will be on the excavation required and amount of old concrete you are disposing of.

9. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I paid $110/sqm for my concrete and stencil driveway.
    This didn't include removal of the prior driveway (bricks on top of thick concrete).
    I do live in Sydney tho.