Concessional Contribution to Super Account

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by John Smith, 2nd Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John Smith

John Smith Well-Known Member

I have a pension income stream and also a super account with leftover funds. Do super rules still allow me to make a concessional contribution to my super account even though I am drawing an income from my pension account?
    Thanks for anticipated replies.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That might depend on your age and your work status.
    Super contributions - too much can mean extra tax

I'm 67, drawing a pension, and making concessional contributions - I pass the work test. I will also make a downsizing contribution when we sell our house shortly.

qak, Chris Au and Anne11 like this.
  3. John Smith

Hi geoffw.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am 62 and retired, and wanting to make a concessional contribution to reduce a capital gain.

4. geoffw

There is a limit as to how much you can contribute. Talk with your accountant.

5. John Smith

The limit is $27500. There is no carry forward due to my total amount in super which is over 500k.

geoffw likes this.
  6. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

7. John Smith

ChrisP73 likes this.
  8. geoffw

It depends however on your taxable income whether it's worth while contributing the maximum amount. I believe contributions are taxed at 15%. My taxable income is low enough that I paid less tax by not contributing the full amount, as my marginal rate went below 15%.

9. John Smith

An excellent point! My estimated taxable earnings will be well above the 18k threshold therefore certainly over 15%.

10. John Smith

So Geoff this post indicates that you are in a similar situation to me i.e. two separate accounts.

11. geoffw

Is that including your $27,500 contribution?

If my taxable income (after all other deductions) was say $40,000 then I should contribute a maximum of $22,000 to get the best benefit.

My accountant separates the amounts for each account rather than having two separate accounts. He says that it's more efficient that way. He tells me that this is acceptable to the ATO as long as it's done by an outside auditor, I believe.

12. John Smith

13. John Smith

It sounds like you have a SMSF whereas I don't.
    With everything said, and it's financially advantageous to do so, am I able to contribute to my super account while simultaneously drawing down from my pension account? Sounds like we've gone around in a circle albeit a very interesting circle. I appreciate your input .

14. geoffw

Yes, I have an SMSF, but the strategy should be the same.

It is possible to draw from and contribute to your super account, as long as you follow the rules for each. At my age, passing the work test, I can draw out say $20k, and recontribute it, reducing my non super taxable income, if the numbers are appropriate.

This is where the advice of a professional is appropriate. Don't rely on what a stranger on the internet says. I may well be incorrect, and if I am, I hope that one of the professionals who contribute would be able to set me straight.

15. John Smith

Thanks geoffw.

Understand what you say. I wouldn't directly act on "advice"picked up on a forum however sometimes the best ideas can be garnished from the many readers who use it and thus how we broaden our knowledge.
    I have an adviser but obviously having a well earned break.

geoffw likes this.
  16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The deduction issue will be limited by the accumulation account balance. If you contributed $50K and want to claim a $50K deduction but the account balance is now $45K then the deduction will be limited to $45K. If you have drawn $10K out of the accum account it also limits deductions. In addition, if any movement from accum to pension has already occurred you wont be able to action the deduction. Drawing $$$ out of super can affect deductions. Wise to act quickly if thats the case.

17. John Smith

Hi Paul.
    I withdrew 1.7m this financial year and placed these funds into a pension account leaving 200k in accumulation account. So following on from what you are saying, am I right to assume that I cannot claim a tax deduction for a concessional contribution also made this year?

18. Paul@PAS

I dont know. But it may, or may not, substantially erode that ability. Speak to the fund.

eg Fred has a accum account with $1.85m. He contributes $50K based on his concessional cap + carry forward unused cap expecting to claim a $50K deduction. His TSB is now $1.9m.
    He then immediately starts a pension of $1.7m. This leaves a accum balance of $200K.

This may limit his deductible contribution to $50,000 x ($200k / $1.9) = 10.5263% x $50K = $5263 as deductible DEPENDING ON OTHER FACTORS incl dates and timing. It will also mean Fred has triggered his bring forward 3 year non-concessional cap IF its available. It could mean excess contributions penalties. If Fred had contributed to a smsf there may be a fix.

19. qak

qak Well-Known Member

If he's got that much super he won't have any carry forward available to him?

20. Paul@PAS

Not necessarily. It may have been a CGT amount (or even a rollover) made prior to the end of the year. The test date is 1 July of the prior tax year. I didnt want to introduce that. The idea remains the same.