Compliance Certificates - Plumbing , Electrical

Discussion in 'Development' started by AnneC, 20th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

Hi all,

With plumbing and electrical, is just one certificate given for plumbing and one for electrical at the end?

But arent there a number of certificates:

1. Civil drainage
    2. Sewerage
    3. Internal plumbing
    4 Electrical - airconditioning, alarms etc

And does the same plumber normally do all the plumbing?

2. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

The certificate will have details of the work covered, so it can be one plumbing certificate or multiple depending on if multiple people were used.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  3. peterpan

peterpan Active Member

Hi Brendon, due to many problems with our builder we have had to terminate our contract.

The build is incomplete. The plumbing and electrical has been roughed in only I understand that for works over $750, a plumbing certificate is required. Do you know whether a plumbing certificate would be given for the works thus done, because they definitely would be over $750.

4. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

@peterpan sorry to hear that. This is definitely not a good situation to be in. Unfortunatly sometimes things don`t go as planned and yopu just need to cope with the cost and move on. I am assuming there will be a lawyer involved. My recommendation is to find another builder willing to take over, he will do all the certifications. It is going to cost more than what you had budgeted and there are not many willing to do it, however, get a good one and finish ASAP.

5. peterpan

peterpan Active Member

Hi Luca,

As I have paid for the plumbing and electrical works thus far, am I entitled to the appropriate accompanying certificates? Has anyone gone through a similar scenario and how did they end up getting them?

6. CTSB

CTSB Well-Known Member

Is there a monetary dispute with the builder or has a release of contract been agreed? If so, then yes, he should provide you with all certificates of works completed to date.

Your issue will be other licensed plumbers and electricians (and builders) certifying and warrantying a portion of the work on the project completed by someone else. Especially works that may be covered over and cant be inspected.

7. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

As @CTSB said, the challenge will be to find a builder to take over. Depends what stage they are in. Plumbing is probably important as I guess the slab is poured and potential issues can cost a lot of money. I would engage someone to manage the whole process, probably a lawyer a/o PM.

8. JCON

JCON Member

Plumber and electrician are legally required to hand over certificates for work completed, regardless if dispute with builder. You would need contact details though which might be tricky. Let me know if you need any help navigating this

9. peterpan

peterpan Active Member

Hi JCON,

I will need some help in navigating this.

Many thanks,

Peterpan

10. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

To my understanding certificates should be given for works completed. Because you’ve paid the builder it doesn’t mean the trades have been paid.
    They should give certs regardless but it can obviously be a battle. Best bet is try to speak to the trades direct and do a deal with them to finish the work off, depending on your new builder.
    It’s going to be a real negotiation, so be willing to give a little to get a little, if you avoid any sort of legal battle it’s a win.

11. peterpan

peterpan Active Member

No monetary dispute with the builder. Builder front loaded the contract. Has made all his profit and is not coming back on site. It has been months since any work has been done.

12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Is there any chance you have the details of the plumber that the builder contracted ?
    Sign out the front/other builder projects?

Whomever takes over management of the build could contract the same plumber (and electrician) to maintain continuity ;)

Fitting off usually isn't too bad to do if you did the rough in, but if the plaster is done and they didn't pull thru just one wire it can be a disaster :confused:

How far along is the build ?
    Lock up or further ?
    Is the site secure ? (Fencing)
    Is the builder going bankrupt, or just not showing up o_O
    Builder/home warranty insurance ?
    Don't be expecting things to progress for some time :eek:

13. CTSB

CTSB Well-Known Member

Exactly this.

Just because the builder has been paid, doesn't necessarily mean they have paid the electricians and plumbers. Good luck getting the certificates out of them if that is the case.

What do you mean he front loaded the contract?
    There's strict rules for domestic construction and set %'s for each stage of the build to prevent exactly this scenario.

Did you obtain finance for this build? As I'd find it hard to believe a bank signing off on an over claimed domestic build to the extent of +15-20%.

Or was this a mistake on your behalf certifying an unrealistic progress claim?

Have you spoken to the VBA or state construction association about filing a complaint? If he's breached payment claim regulations and then done a runner, one of the best sticks to approach him with would be a threat to his building license.

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2020
  14. peterpan

peterpan Active Member

There are 2 methods of payment. Method A and Method B. Ours was unfortunately, Method B.

15. CTSB

CTSB Well-Known Member

If it's not too invasive can you please give some further detail?

16. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

VBA for plumbing and electrical certification is a good place to start. Those trades tend to take more notice when VBA is involved (can impact on their licence)