Complete Unit renovation Sydney

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Sackie, 17th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

LOL! Just goes to show someone with limited funny English can be a property Investor, I thought you spell 'Q' card now I know it is 'cue' cards.
    Yes I did marketing when younger hence I like to use some creative marketing ideas, some have learned from courses like those 'cue' cards, that so many advise against on this forum.
    I also laminate them and attach next to each light switch in each room, obviously only pointing out the best aspects of each room to stand out.
    To me the cost of a course or seminar is irrelevant if I take something out and make it useful or it improves my life for the better, even just one idea!
    I think I should visit this site just for English?
    Learned from Sash today another word, "plumming".

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Gold.

3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Only share with those that understand and appreciate, so am I to see now every place with them? Will need to think of a new trick?
    Ok, got it, make a basket of 'goodies' too at open inspections, make sure they cannot see what's in there with notes on it, "YOURS IF YOU BUY ME (or RENT ME?)!"
    What marketing strategies do you use?

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Usually it depends on a few factors. The market I am selling in. Which sale route gets the best results for the stock I am trying to sell. Sometimes auctions are the best route. Other times 'For Sale' is the way to go.

I get feedback from 2 or 3 agents in the area showing the best results and then decide on a marketing strategy with them.

5. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Yes friends are selling in Sydney now and used furniture staging. I wouldn't sell just rent but they are in a different league....selling for emotional reasons or maybe or maybe not...just too much hassle having IPs for them, if you just hired additional 250 staff and may wish to sell your company... that's so much more important. Just goes to show me larger financial wealth more issues to handle.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yeah I think staging is usually a good idea. I don't think I've ever not staged a place. Some staging I've gone all out because of the price point of the home and others which were aimed at the lower end of the market, just some basic furniture.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Now the conversation gets fruity. :rolleyes:

8. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I spelled it wrong, it was 'Pummeling'!

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Update:

OK so $440 later (site visit and report), I am told the wall is non load bearing. Engineers recommendation is to basically build a plywood braced stud wall that will be infilled behind the existing linen cupboard door. All 4 sides to be fixed to existing slab and brickwork with bolts. If there is enough depth, I will try to still keep a linen cupboard on the other side.
    [​IMG]

I will make final changes to the layout and then get some plans drawn up. Trying to update this thread as a 'step by step' process as much as I can.

welshmin and Perthguy like this.
  10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

When will work start? The drive does put me off a tad though

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Don't have a start date yet mate. Theoretically the tenants could stay all of the 60 days notice which means we'd probably start demo around September. But I think they will give notice to leave much earlier. Its good to have this planning time though. They have been fantastic tenants, allowing me to show up at all times with very short notice to bring people through. I always reward them with little treats.

Yeah Bob the traffic has definitely gotten worse, no doubt about it. But on the whole the area is pretty chilled and some nice new Ice cream places. :)

12. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Nice thread @Leo2413. I’ll follow with interest as I need to do a similar job on my North Bondi unit. I’m leaving a couple of hundred bucks a week rent on the table by not giving it a spruce up.

13. bob shovel

I don't care much for ice cream.
    How does August work for you? I'll pack my nail bag and sunscreen :)

Dean Collins likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nah, peak ski season but I'll take up the offer of free sunscreen :D

15. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

We did similar thing with opening the kitchen to combined dining/lounge but unfortunately required engineer to produce final certificate to satisfy Strata as had load bearing wall (located on level one between ground and second floor).
    Where the existing entry kitchen door was we built that out with a linen/storage cupboard, never enough storage space for me, so I assume others too?
    When we did the floors throughout only in main bedroom being north east facing, hence water regress present via large bay windows, found concrete cancer. Strata was prolonging process with additional quotes, special meetings, acceptance, hence we paid it ourselves to fix just to save on turnaround time. Perhaps something to keep in mind to note, never know what you uncover ripping out tiles or carpets or bathrooms?
    Keep posting on progress and thank you....I like the before and after shots...
    Let's see our kitchen before, in progress and after:
    Kitchen Snip.PNG

030.JPG

186.JPG

Leo, just suggestion, but you will replace all the old appliances to stainless steel,right? The whole package for the four items was not expensive less than $1.7K (Oven, stove, hood and dishwasher...I had a great discount though and it was say 3 years ago...).
    If you interested I can also provide bathroom pics if interested although you saw the cue cards (but not how it was before...)?

Dean Collins likes this.
  16. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Also, I utilised the high ceiling space for extra cabinetry, so underneath and above as in the kitchen, same with the built ins with pulley system. Perhaps may not suit you as it was custom designed more for resale than rental? Perhaps something to think about? 013.JPG

Joynz, Sackie, samiam and 1 other person like this.
  17. bob shovel

@MWI i like the blue cupboards! :cool:

Nice reno and great use of space!

18. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I hope you are being funny, it was just plastic to protect in progress stage, right? You are funny though!;)

19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

MWI - I'd think the upper set of overhead cupboards in your kitchen are too high for normal use - I'd have to get a step out to use them (and I'm not short). I do appreciate that you wanted to put in the storage, but for me those would be too high and I would not use them. Instead I'd go with one row of overhead cupboards and empty space above that.

20. Marcus Yuuu

Marcus Yuuu Well-Known Member

I too visit this site for English lessons, lots to Learn from Aussies about property terms, but not about other things haha

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia