Complete Roof replacement - most cost effective way?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Green, 30th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Green

Green Well-Known Member

My single storey 190m2 brick veneer 1990s house has been significantly fire damaged and will require a complete roof replacement along with a lot of internal framing work. Roof is to be a gable with one hip.

Im wondering if anyone here has done the costing exercise as to the cheapest solution to put a new roof on. Previously the roof was concrete tile, which I understand to be a slightly cheaper option to metal sheeting, but im thinking surely you can save big on the number of trusses required for a metal roof system v a concrete tile since its so much lighter?

Would love to hear thoughts.

Cheers

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The roof framing supplier will plug the numbers into the computer to determine stress grades, member size & stress grades.

Tell them to provide quotes for both.

Joynz and Green like this.
  3. Green

Green Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Scott, i've began speaking with a drafty to get drawings organised for the building permit, as I understand it engineering drawings are required for the permit also.

I'd assume the engineer would be designing based on selected roof material and thus I would need to know which one to go with first? Perhaps getting some roofing quotes on the two options is first port of call?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Flick the roof plan to a roof framing company and get them to quote both - even If it's a budget, better than nothing.

Likewise to a roofer/tiler.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

In Perth they are around the same for the reasons you outline - less trusses evens out the more expensive sheeting.

I will always chose a metal sheeting roof over tiles even if a little more for a number of reasons - low maintenance, more weatherproof, lighter colours available and more secure.

Tom Rivera likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia