Complete House Reno - Suggestions Required

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by PropertyDeveloper, 12th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropertyDeveloper

PropertyDeveloper Member

Hello,

Objective is to increase rent & value of this house. I have prepared draft plan as below. Basically apart from cosmetic reno & I would like to add 4th bedroom, additional bathroom, entertaining decking area & utilize some other space.

Please provide your suggestion, photos attached along with floor plan.

Basic Reno
    1. New flooring i.e carpet / wooden / Tiles
    2. Light fittings
    3. Painting
    4. New Kitchen
    5. Gardening (Front & Back yard)
    6. New Blinds

Intermediate Reno (Refer Floor Plan attached)
    1. Make #11 4th bedroom by adding wall & left over area as dining

2. Make #12 as full bathroom - add shower & vanity. Move hot water geyser out somewhere

3. Make #14 as entertaining area - by adding decking

4. Remove west wall of #10 & #6 & add wall in #4 to combine it to #6 living area. This will give big living area & open modern style kitchen & can have dining as well. This allows to have bigger 4th bedroom in point #1 above

5. Reduce #13 space by shifting wall so we will have smaller laundry & bigger bathroom which can have bathtub as well.

6. Facade paint

Backyard from house.jpg Backyard.jpg Bathroom.jpg Bedroom2.jpg Bedroom3.jpg Family Room.jpg Front.jpg Kitchen.jpg Laundry.jpg Lounge.jpg

2. PropertyDeveloper

PropertyDeveloper Member

Some more photos & floor plan

Master Bedroom.jpg Porch.jpg Toilet.jpg Floor Plan.jpg

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm not able to see too well on my phone just now but I'm curious to know your budget to reno. Also what is the rent "as is" and how much extra with the changes.

Does your local market warrant such a spend?

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Fix that ugly arched verandah facade

bob shovel likes this.
  5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

What would you do to it?

I've got similar at my place, long way down the list of to-do's but not sure what I'd do to it.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Could you square it up and render it? Not sure how it would look but would have to better than arches.

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The intermediate reno may be over complicating things. It's also hard to get a feel for the scale from your sketch as to the wall changes

But lots of paint would give it a big lift. The kitchen looks good just paint everything - cupboards, benchtop and some colour for splashback. Also new handles.

Bathroom looks good as is

I can understand the back deck but may over capitalise because it's functional as is.

The front arches might need a couple of big lintels cut in then remove the arch bricks to square it off. That would get rid of the dated arches ;) big plus for street appeal. I'd get some quotes

wylie likes this.
  8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Could paint-em gold

Lemmy a fiver likes this.
  9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Exactly what I would do, or remove altogether. Looks like its there for aesthetic reasons only, its supporting a skillion roof verandah so a centre and end post would likely carry the weight just fine.

wylie and Perthguy like this.
  10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

One "budget" thing I've considered atm is framing them up with some treated pine batons, fixing some shade cloth to it, changes the appearance, provides privacy.

Another idea is wire mesh, grow jasmine on it, get the fragrance through the house. But takes time to grow, requires love which some tenants lack, can be messy.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Would that increase the rent that could be charged?

12. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Rent, maybe not. Rentability, yes. Value, yes++

wylie and Perthguy like this.
  13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Possibly. Three things I have found matter a lot when finding a tenant: price, presentation and location. Presentation of the property is very important to the price you can achieve for rent. I have found tenants for well presented properties at above market rents. Of course you would need to calculate how much it would cost to remove the arches. If it is a couple of hundred dollars vs a couple of thousand dollars, that is a different story.

14. bob shovel

yeah it may have been added on
    On the puter you can zoom and see the tin roof. Few acro props and hammer time! :)
    Big facade game changer! and worth doing for $Val++ it will open it up and look more modern with the right plan.
    THe current look does make it look structural but going for one post may make it look like a cheap tack on. Keep some of the brick work perhaps

Perthguy and wylie like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Finally able to look on the big screen. If I was living in this, I'd remove the bathroom and place it beside the small bedroom on that side wall, with the toilet and laundry (12 and 13) as part of that set-up. Then I'd remove the toilet and laundry from where they are now and open up the back area.

Knock through the end wall of the living area which would then flow straight through to the back wall.

That back area is a mess.

But... for a rental, I'd do nothing except tidy it up and remove the brick arches to allow light to flood in and make it a more attractive facade.

16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Or some nice thick timber posts painted to match the exterior paint looks good too

17. PropertyDeveloper

PropertyDeveloper Member

Thank you everyone. I will be replying shortly. I have just attached better current & proposed floor plan & marked photos.

Stage 1 Reno
    1. New flooring i.e carpet / wooden / Tiles
    2. Light fittings
    3. Painting
    4. New Kitchen
    5. Gardening (Front & Back yard)
    6. New Blinds

Stage 2 Reno (Refer Floor Plan attached)
    1. Make 4th bedroom by adding wall to family area & left over area as spare area

2. Make toilet as full bathroom - add shower & vanity. Move hot water geyser out somewhere

3. Remove & add walls - see open plan living dining kitchen porch

4. Reduce laundry space by shifting wall so we will have smaller laundry & bigger bathroom which can have bathtub as well.

Stage 3 Reno (Refer Floor Plan attached)
    1. Make Bedroom 5 in shaded area

2. Make shaded area entertaining area - by adding decking

3. Facade & exterior render

Note: Above is DRAFT plan for discussion.

As objective is to increase rent & value of this house - I think major value gain will be from stage 2 & 3 reno, thoughts please as no one commented on this so far ?

Attached Files:

18. PropertyDeveloper

PropertyDeveloper Member

More photos

Attached Files:

19. PropertyDeveloper

PropertyDeveloper Member

First thing - current plan is draft. Budget is flexible, main things is how much $$ I'm gaining by spending $$ so I need to find best reno plan. I'm yet to research more carefully but rent on 4 bed is about 30% more compared to 3 bed and 5 bed value is 30% more whereas value different between 4 bed & 3 bed is about 10% only.

I have attached better current & proposed floor plan, will you be able look & suggest. Re - structural reno - I know things are functional as is but what about if I get 4 times of $ spent ? When do you thing structural reno is good ?

I personally like those arches :). What do you think if I make it wall to have open plan living dining & kitchen as shown in attached current & proposed floor plan.

I personally like those arches :). What do you think if I make it wall to have open plan living dining & kitchen as show in attached current & proposed floor plan.

When do you thing structural reno is good to add bedroom & bathroom etc. ? Attached better current & proposed floor plan

Attached Files:

20. bob shovel

The porch and bed 5 modifications are likely to complicated and expensive. But other internal walls being changed and extra bedroom has merits