Complete home renovation - what order to complete works

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by lifecompetitor, 13th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lifecompetitor

lifecompetitor Well-Known Member

Hello PC renovators,

I’ll be undertaking a complete home renovation.

Interested to hear from others experience, is there a particular order in which to complete particular rooms or does it not matter? E.g Is it best to do the bathroom at the same time as the kitchen to leverage the builder, plumber, tiler and electrician?

I will be seeking quotes for the complete renovation project shortly (as a whole) and expect the project manager will advise, however, depending on the quotes received I may need to prioritise rooms or sections first subject to budget and come back for the other parts.

E.g landscaping, decking etc.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

2. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

You appear to be doing a renovation by subcontracting rather than rbo (renovation by owner) so things change. As you have a builder on board to do the work, it would be normal for them to engage other trades as required and it would be normal for them to stage the works to minimise cost.

Always worth considering to do landscaping (or parts thereof) early as gardens are always better with a few months of growth. This can depend on time of year and what needs doing plus not going too far before the builders stomp the crap out of your newly planted petunias.

lifecompetitor and wylie like this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Are you living in the property while the work is being done?

4. lifecompetitor

Thanks Mark. I haven’t yet got a builder on board. The place will be settling in January. Though it’s more than likely I will be going the subcontracting route.

Good tip on the landscaping.

5. lifecompetitor

Hi Skater. No I won’t be living in it. It’s currently vacant and will remain that way until the renovation is complete.

skater likes this.
  6. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Of the inside- Bathrooms take the longest so get that started first. Kitchen also needs to be ordered. Flooring last.
    Don't forget to check your insurance as most won't cover if empty for more than 8 weeks. May be OK as people will be there.

inbaaa and lifecompetitor like this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Most kitchen installers will have the same electrical plumbing tradespeople they use ,so just factor in a 48 hour turnaround as kitchens is just strip out and refit..
    The bathroom will be different again,several trades depending on the layout and any location Changes plus you would have to allow for painting ..but kitchen first ..imho..

lifecompetitor likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Engage PM, engage designer/artichoke, approve plans, DA/CC, tender, appoint builder, pay bills, move in.

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

How will you get machinery into the back yard if it is required? From my experience, if the sides of the block are narrow, get the back yard and fence sorted first so there is no damage to or doubling up of already completed projects.

10. lifecompetitor

Thanks Travelbug. That was my thinking, bathroom first followed by kitchen, laundry, bedrooms and then floor. Cheers.

11. lifecompetitor

Thanks Willair. Appreciate the feedback. I'm going to try to keep as many things in their current position to save time and money. Though there is one area (laundry placement) that is bugging me. Will look to post the floor plan to see if anyone has any better suggestion.

12. lifecompetitor

Hi Angel. The property is 20 meres wide with side clearance of around 5 metres, so hopefully will be ok. I hadn't considered that but will now check. Thanks for the pointer.

13. lifecompetitor

Cheers Scott No mates. Seem so simple when you put it like that! I'm sure there will be quite a few bumps along the way!

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yeah but Nah.

Think trades.

Demo
    Excavation/structural
    Services (in ground)
    Structural - build
    Roof
    Lock-up
    Finishes

What you're proposing is a about t as you simply cannot look at each room in isolation unless you have years to build and the world's deepest pockets.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.