Comparison of various states land taxes

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Dean Collins, 24th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

I came across this table today which gives a good breakdown on the various amounts of land tax between various states.

- Land tax and stamp duty changes

2. Dean Collins

I didnt realise that QLD was charging "foreigner absentee land tax surcharge" to Australian citizens and PR who are living and working overseas (NSW and VIC excludes these).

Are we really stuck in the 1950's still QLD, eg unless you live in the state permanently you must be against God and Jo and should p-off??

Last edited: 24th Feb, 2018
    Anthony Brew likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Dean Collins - LT is the government's way of telling you it may be time to redevelop.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I personally avoid tables for land tax as they lack true information and are readily outdated. ie what is the taxing date ? Doesnt explain grouping and loads of other matters. Easy to make false assumptions based on the relevant taxing date etc.

The word expat could be easily confused by people as citizenship and temp / perm and tax residency issues also affect land tax and surcharges as well as thresholds and rates. The other concern is duties with non-residents also subject to higher costs.

The word expat doesnt exist in any Commonwealth or state tax law as far as I'm aware.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Factually incorrect and simple review would have indicated that. Goes to show how insufficient a table of "facts" can be. QLD has no care if you live interstate. If you live out of the country the general rules is based on :

If you do not usually live in Australia or an external territory, you may be an absentee for land tax purposes.

Q : What does usually mean ?
    Q : What happens if one owner is absentee and other isnt ?

This applies to citizens, PRs and obviously temp residents or non-residents. Can apply to a entity too. A lesser threshold AND surcharge both apply. This is consistent with several other states who do similiar. Esp NSW and Vic. Vic also has a vacant property tax on top. These other states may exempt citizens. But can tax a resident who is not a citizen !! Throw in CGT changes and its a mine field

6. Dean Collins

Paul, Where was what I said wrong?

If you are an Australian citizen but live overseas...QLD charges you absentee land tax.

NSW and Vic do not.

Am I wrong in what I said the table shows?

Anthony Brew likes this.
  7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

In QLD Australian citizens are generally caught out by the absentee provisions if they live overseas. Many don't realise this.

Dean Collins and Paul@PAS like this.