company title IP- trouble ?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by seachange, 24th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. seachange

seachange Well-Known Member

found an apartment I like, but it's unconditional company title. Nab won't lend on it, so I have to go through hoops with another lender. I'm wary of an investment a big bank won't touch.

It could be improved by knocking out a wall, but how difficult are renos in a company title building? Top floor, so that helps, but I only have a few days to make decisions and I'm a bit out of my depth with this one.
    Agent said building could be converted to strata eventually. I have no idea of cost or issues in old with that. My guess is if there are older owners, they won't want the value add from that ( pension might be affected).

2. Wall Street

Wall Street Well-Known Member

If you're having issues with funding today, chances are that future purchasers will have the same issues tomorrow.
    Unless it's a really good deal, it may be worth passing on this.

Propertunity and Terry_w like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Jurisdiction for disputes with company title is the Supreme Court - which is very costly. Strata disputes can be handled by tribunals.

Elives likes this.
  4. Pins

Pins Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the building. Myself and a number of other owners have done renos and there hasn't been any issue.

No issue with demand for company title apartments in potts point and Elizabeth bay

5. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

The issue is finance and there is a somewhat correlation between ease of finance and CG on a property.

Only a handful of lenders do company titles, with St George being the best @ 85% LVR, Westpac and ING @ 80%, ANZ @ 70%.

Its been like this for many years so come resale the purchaser may have the same issue particularly if he or she is looking at a par 90% LVR purchase (which a lot of buyers are).

Terry_w likes this.