Communication Channel with Owner

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Keet, 14th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What sort of water ingress @MB18?

I would think it likely might be classed as an urgent problem.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I suspect it was to do with the flashings. Water from outside coming inside in the mildest of rain showers (not leaking but running).

I was happy to raise the alarm, but I didnt have much interest in determining whether it was an emergency (was no great inconvenience to me).

The landlord subsequently ask I contact them in the intial instance for any problems thereafter.

Ultimately if a tenant and landlord have to bybass a PM there is a systematic failing somewhere.

3. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Ah, you’re assuming the Owner wasn’t told. Have you ever considered the Owner was told and said to the PM “don’t worry about it” (because they don’t have or want to spend the money to fix it)? You would be surprised . . .

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would not as a landlord be happy with either your attitude that you don’t have much interest in determining whether it was an emergency or to know you had reported it to the PM and that had not been relayed to me.

Water “running in” sounds fairly major and urgent to me. That could damage things rather quickly.

Ryan23 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  5. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Hence my surprise at the PMs inaction despite multiple emails and phonecalls.

At the end of the day im not an expert, but if something is wrong I'll raise the alarm.
    To provide a degree context the landlord expressed dissapoint at the management agency rather than myself, hence the requesnt to contact her in the first instance thereafter.

6. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Yup. Until I spoke to the landlord in person who subsequently requested I contact them in the first instance there after.

They way I see it as that providing a line of communication between tenant-landlord keeps the 'less attentive' PMs in line... to the landlords benefit.
    The landlord doesn't know what they dont know otherwise.