Commercial Tenant

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by FireDragon, 23rd Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

My development has 6 shops and 49 units. For the shops I've offers from some restaurants and a medical imaging center. The good thing is that the medical imaging center is going to take 4 shops and a long lease. My worry is that some residential tenant may not like having a medical imaging center downstairs due to radiation. Will it make the residential apartments more difficult to sell or rent?

By the way, I did some research and it seems other medical imaging center are normally in a commercial building.

Any comments are welcome.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

As a resident, I'd much prefer a medical imaging centre downstairs than a whole number of other possible retail/professional businesses. Especially instead of 4 other potential shops.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Medical imaging premises are required to install shielding to prevent escape of radiation.

I would prefer a clean usage rather than a restaurant as a residential occupant.

How are you making provision for kitchen exhaust and grease traps?

4. wooster

wooster Well-Known Member

Have never heard of any rumours on Medical imaging center affecting health. So, I guess there is no problem.

Did heard of telco tower before though.

5. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

Depends on the extent of the medical imaging equipment been used.. If it is just ultra sound and x-rays it isn't as bad as having CT scanners and MRI machines which is a totally different kettle of fish.

At one stage I also had a tenant apply for one of my premises to be used as a medical imaging centre and after doing some research at that time and discovering restrictions were actually in place in my area as to the maximum amount of CT scan type machines and MRI machines that could operate in my area due to the "potential" contamination issues, I decided to accept a different type of tenant.

If my building was free standing and didn't have any other premises joining it that I also owned I may have thought other wise. May I ask which Medical Imaging operator is looking at your premises?

Regards,

alicudi

6. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. The agent didn't provide the name of the imaging operator yet but they do mention the installation of a MRI machine.

@alicudi, do you mind to share the article regarding the restrictions on the maximum amount of CT scan type machines and MRI machines in an area?

Last edited: 24th Jul, 2018
  7. alicudi

Hi

Depending on your leasing authority with the estate agent and assuming you are not penalised should you choose not to accept this particular business should you decide not accept a formal offer from this potential tenant, I would be asking the agent to have the medical imaging centre make a formal offer/proposal in writing so you can at least see what rent/term and conditions you can achieve from a tenant such as this in your property.

Regards,

alicudi

8. Wooden

Wooden Active Member

An MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) has no radiation. Assuming a 150mm concrete slab above I couldn't see even a CT scanner (most radiation) affecting anyone - but then I'm not a physicist.

Terry_w likes this.
  9. alicudi

Hi

It wasn't an actual article, it was discussions and investigations that I had with the planning department in my local council and speaking to a medical imaging centre operator.

Also as "Wooden" has stated above, the MRI machine may not be of an issue so concentrate your effort on the CT scan machine for now.

Regards,

alicudi