Commercial + Residential landlord insurance (same title)

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Ronen, 28th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I've got a property which has a house in regular residential rental agreement + factory building used by a commercial tenant used to manufacture trailers.

My Resi landlord insurance, that was happy to insure the whole property with the business as long as there's no shop front and clients are not coming in, had a change of heart and they told me they can no longer insure the property, not even if I agree to remove the factory part from it, leaving just the house.

Moreover, my tenant wants to create a showroom, which means it would have happened anyway.

Does anyone know who will be happy to insurance such property?
    I need just the landlord component, but if it has to be combined with content and public liability, that's still ok - my tenant and I will split the costs.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Try a broker - they may describe the residential component as a caretaker's flat.

Do you need landlord insurance for the residential rent only? Might be worth dropping that component.

3. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Yep, That's what I did.
    They are looking into it.

I'd love to have full-on landlord insurance, but it seems with the way it set-up - I won't be able to eat the cake and have it.
    It'll be a landlord insurance, but without rent default, only rent lose.
    It's a risk, but not much I can do. If I have issues with the rent payment - I'd have to take it as "making business loss".