Commercial lease renewal fees VIC

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Nic22, 30th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nic22

Nic22 New Member

Hey all, can you please help me out. We have just completed a 5 x 3 lease agreement and we want to renew and have been offered 3 x3 renewal. Property manager is a dominant real estate in area. We as the tenant, have been charged $495 lease renewal fee. Isnt this the landlord who should attract a renewal fee for property management and is this price reasonable for sending out an identical contract as original for us to date and sign?

2. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Look at your lease but normally a commercial tenant pays for all leasing and management costs.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Nic22

Nic22 New Member

So what is the going rate for a lease renewal then? $495 seems like a steep fee to send out mail

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

If its a "renewal" being negotiated, isn't it pretty much negotiating a new contract and pretty much anything goes?

Its sounds weird you me that you've just agreed to 9 years worth of rent and fees but $495 is a deal breaker now...

Btw that works both ways too, so maybe you can take that back to the lessors...

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Nic22 Is it a commercial or retail lease?

($495 sounds cheap in my book - I gather that it's only a month's rent).

6. Nic22

Nic22 New Member

ok so this is not a deal breaker it is a question. Contract is same as previous. It is an industrial factory so no retail. I am just asking how does a reissue of contract attract $495 of costs? When we got an email, will you renew, contract sent in mail, invoice sent at same time for $495. Dont know where rent costs $495 a month, we are paying $2200.

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Then say "no thanks" to the lessor. You're negotiating a new contact. Complain to the person you're negotiating with.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I would be checking the standard form lease which has been issued to confirm whether you are in fact liable for lease preparation costs . It is not a retail lease so legals may be passed on to the tenant - the wording in the lease will determine whether this is covered (if it is defined as legals but Lease Preparation costs isn't, I'd be arguing for it to be a Lessor cost).

I was assuming that the $450+gst was the letting fee, super cheap rent.

9. Nic22

Nic22 New Member