Commercial fit out - rough costs and process

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by scientist, 1st Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

So I'm looking to lease a CIP, and I'd have to do substantial fit out to the one I'm looking at. Roughly 250sqm, need to partition it into individual rooms etc - that's fine but there's a few issues with this one:

1) the building is under company title - is this a headache to steer clear of, or is it just a few minor inconveniences? Basically I'd have to get all the other landlords' permissions for any alterations to common areas, e.g. adding signage on the awning, even our own outside wall.

2) I want to paint the entire exterior - should the body corporate pay for this?
    2a) Is painting an exterior (corner block, 2 walls) a big expense? I'm after something basic, one colour, just paint over all the brick etc. What's the ballpark?

3) I haven't done this before but I imagine the process goes like this - 1: submit offer subject to DA for change of use to what I want, 2: after offer accepted, get DA, get building quotes. 3: DA approved, start fit out, rent free period starts at this time. Is this progression the norm?

Thanks

2. Christina46

Christina46 Well-Known Member

Have you had town planning advice that you actually need a DA? Even if there is a change of use it may be an acceptable alternative and therefore not need a DA.

As a landlord, I would generally build an allowance into the rent free period for the tenant to get any approvals, rather than start rent free after any relevant approvals are obtained.

scientist likes this.
  3. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

Thanks this is interesting. But I want some signage put up as well on the building external walls, and awning edge, possibly illuminated, so I'd need to put through a DA anyway am I right?

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

My thoughts and this is assumption that you are leasing not buying

1. Dunno

2. Not the body corporate should not pay for this but they will need to give you permission to do it
    2a. Is the brick already painted? If it isn't then there might be a strata by law that says all the units have to keep a matching theme. Work out the number of square metres of area that needs to be painted. It will need to be good paint and may need to have an anti graffiti layer as well

3. Having your offer to lease subject to DA is less attractive than one which isn't. You might have to make a higher offer to make it worth their while to take it off market and deal with the 2-6mths that it might take to get DA. Consult a town planner now will give you a better idea on what is possible with the least amount of hassle. Every single item in a lease is negotiable and the Lessor may say that if you want it subject to DA then no rent free term or no fitout contribution etc etc