Commbank -- changes to redraw from Feb 16th !?!?!

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by The Gambler, 2nd Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

From 16 February this year we're introducing an important change to your home loan available redraw, to protect you from unexpected increases in your repayments.

So that you can pay back your balance within the loan term, as well as protect you from any unexpected increases to your principal and interest repayments, your redraw balance will now gradually reduce in line with the remaining life of your loan.
    Your redraw balance also won't include any payments made towards your next minimum monthly repayment amount, so that your next repayment is always covered.
    If you're planning to make additional repayments and redraw a specific amount later you might want to consider other options."​

What is this trickery? It sounds very, very shady to me.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

It's not - it's just very poorly worded.

It's basically so people who pay their loan payment via direct credit can't redraw their payment before the loan payment is actually charged.

Currently they can, and if they redraw it they then don't have the funds in the loan to pay their payment, so it misses and causes all kinds of angst.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Its actually a good thing

ta

rolf

4. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies.
    I'm still confused and I'm going to have to contact the bank on Monday.
    I may be confusing offset with redraw. But if that's the case why did they send me this bloody email.

Last edited: 3rd Feb, 2018
  5. Jess Peletier

Redraw is money in the actual loan, not offset. It probably won’t affect you, and in reality will only affect those who deposit funds directly into their loan. The amount they won’t be able to redraw will be no more than the amount of their next payment.

It seems like nothing to most of us, most probably, but for most people in the world not being able to access $1500 in redraw could be the difference between paying the power bill or not. So they let all their clients know.

The Gambler likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Jess - you should be the writer of these announcements. You appear to fully understand what it means and can explain the reasoning and the real life impact whereas whoever wrote it in the first place couldn't!

7. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Bank marketing teams often write AWESOME policy releases.....not :)

The Gambler likes this.
  8. qak

qak Well-Known Member

But what does this part mean?

Say I had a $500K 25 year loan which I have repaid $450K in 5 years. How much can I redraw?

9. Jess Peletier

To be honest, it's because I read it and almost had a heart attack - if what it read like was what actually was happening, it would have been truly crap for a lot of people. I grilled them to get to the bottom of it.

Medine and Gockie like this.
  10. Jess Peletier

All of it less the amount of your next contracted repayment. But if you never make another payment, your redraw funds will gradually get smaller.

11. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Well that would be OK - I was reading it as meaning I could only draw out the amount I could repay in the remaining 20 years based on the contracted payments - say 80% (more, I think) of the $450K?

12. qak

qak Well-Known Member

The example on CBA says:

How it works
    Cara takes out a $500,000 variable rate home loan with a loan term of 30 years. She makes principal and interest repayments on her loan. The graph shows how her home loan balance will decrease over time.
    1. In year 10 her loan balance is $408,000
    2. In year 25 her loan balance is $142,000
    Let’s say Cara makes a $200,000 additional repayment toward her loan in year 10, and continues to pay the minimum repayment to pay off her loan in 30 years. Her minimum principal and interest repayment will reduce.
    1. In year 10 her loan balance will be $208,000, while her available redraw balance will be $200,000. This adds up to what her loan balance would have been if she had made no additional repayment ($408,000)
    2. In year 25 her loan balance would be $72,000, while her available redraw balance is $70,000. This adds up to what her loan balance would have been if she had made no additional repayment ($142,000). Other factors may affect your available redraw.

As I thought - you can no longer redraw up to the original balance (which from the example was $500K, in example 1 she previously would have been able to redraw $292K and can now only draw $200K.

How redraw will work over the life of the loan

13. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Is the answer to redraw asap & put it into offset?

14. Jess Peletier

upload_2018-2-6_11-45-58.png
    The key here is that after dumping in $200k, she's now paying the minimum that will allow her to still repay over 30 years.
    It's adjusted to reflect the redraw. If she kept paying the same as she always was, without reducing the monthly payment, she'd still be able to redraw the full amount.

In effect, she's paying less per month and the difference is being taken out of her redraw. If she keeps the same payment, nothing gets taken out of redraw.

Marg4000 likes this.
  15. Simrowe

Simrowe New Member

So if you make higher repayments where does the extra funds go??
    Do they just get put in redraw.
    Its all so confusing. I dont understand how your redraw can lower if your paying the correct amount

16. Jess Peletier

If you keep paying the same, and don't reduce your payment, nothing will change. The point above is that she reduced her monthly payment.

Simrowe likes this.
  17. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I'm really not getting that message from what CBA have written. Maybe my understanding of redraw has always been wrong, as we've never used it, just use offset.

If (from the CBA example above) Cara got to year 10 and made her normal payments so the loan balance was now $408K, I've always assumed she could redraw $92K to take her back up to the $500K. Presumably repayments would increase to cover the outstanding amount in the remaining term.

Happy to be corrected, but from how I'm reading this, if you pay the exact minimum payment there is no longer redraw available (if there ever was)?

18. Simrowe

Simrowe New Member

Sorry worded that incorrectly. If you pay over the minimum amount

19. Jess Peletier

Nope - with P&I payments your limit reduces every payment.

Terry_w likes this.
  20. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

Means you could sort of use it like an traditional IO loan ready to redraw for investment = GOOD...

Borrow $500K P&I over 30 years and pay down to $1K post settlement. Repayments would reduce to $5/ month. Redraw available wouldn't change much over the first few years..

Same as using an offset with P&I I suppose. $500K loan $500K in offset. Full scheduled repayments made but no interest accrued. Balance of both loan and offset reduce in tandem each month.

Marg4000 likes this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.