Coming home

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ron Cahill, 21st Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ron Cahill

Ron Cahill Member

I am a retiree who has been living in Asia nearly 8 years and my wife and I will be back in Oz in 3 weeks to stay.
    Like Gladstone area mainly due to price, like Tannum Sands/Boyne Is area but will rent first to check out suitable places to 'hang hat'.
    Want to go fishing, relax and enjoy life. Wife nearly completed Aged Care Course and hoping to find work in that vocation.
    Like a quiet life, rugby league, fishing which I plan to do plenty of.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You won't have any problem with Aged Care. My wife is in aged/disability care (disability was just a small component in addition to aged care). There is no shortage of work - especially if you go to live in coastal Queensland. There's likely to be lots of retirees.

3. Ron Cahill

Ron Cahill Member

Thanks Geoff. That is why we chose that direction, staff shortages. Are you in the area we are looking at?
    Ron.

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

No, I'm in Canberra.

Your wife may find, that due to shortages, that they are obliged to keep staff who are not really very good. There have been so many times when, in a care house, the other staff member has sat around on the phone while she cleans the house. Or take the really easy jobs. Often those are also the people who are good at politics. And they end up complaining about her because she asks them to do some work.

ellejay likes this.
  5. Ron Cahill

Ron Cahill Member

My wife is Filipino, they rarely complain, not what they do, usually say nothing.
    She has a dual degree teaching, but not recognised in Oz, so would have to start again, she is too old to go there.
    A very good worker with very good English (one of her degrees). I appreciate your feedback.
    Ron.

TAJ and geoffw like this.
  6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I think I'd find that personally very difficult. 8 years away is a long time to get used to all things good in Asia. Anyhows, welcome home.

7. Ron Cahill

Ron Cahill Member

I like my space and there is not much of that in Asia.
    I just want to watch the fishing line in the water.
    If it works well and we are comfortable in Gladstone we will look to purchase a property.
    I have read a good deal on the history and reasons behind the property market there currently.
    I see it as a long term buying proposition and a home for my partner when I check out.
    As a professional, what is your view on that if you don't mind?

8. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Your wife shouldn't have too much difficulty in finding a placement in an Aged Care facility as long as she has completed her course and speaks fluent English.
    Where did you reside in Australia before moving overseas?
    As said, it would be a wise move to rent initially and get the feel for the area before diving into the market.
    The idea of dangling a line in the water certainly is appealing.

Good luck with the transition.

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Work wise Ron ,your Wife would walk straight into employment very quickly and 100k either side of Gladstone in any of the river inlets the fishing is still good ..Plus as your Wife will see very quickly walking around Gladstone there is a high % Thai Pilipino Asians married into that area ,has been that way from the start of the build phase from the mid 70's onwards..My only word of advice is --if you support the family in PI will they expect the same when your retired and your wife works and starts to live the Australian lifestyle ..Welcome Back..

10. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

welcome back @Ron Cahill

maybe get her to do a 2 yr Bachelor of Nursing ( pre credit because of her other qualification), and becomes a Registered Nurse, pay is much better, won't be too much physical work if working in aged care sectior.

11. Ron Cahill

Ron Cahill Member

Thank you Eric will discuss that with her.

12. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

Hey mate,

did you end up moving back to Australia?