Health & Family Coming down with a cold/flu - action steps

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Orion, 17th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

I feel the very early stages of a cold/flu coming on. I'm not sick, but I feel like I'll get sick if I don't take things easy. Everyone around the office and public transport are coughing etc as well.

In the past when I get this warning sign I go 'into lockdown' and have been able to side step it in the past.

Vitamins, lots of water, lots of sleep, no alcohol and an early night are all a must I believe.

I was planning to go to a session of warm Yoga to sweat it out and keep active - good idea or not?

I also only started riding my pushbike into work (50 min ride). I decided to give it a miss this morning because it's so cold but unsure if this makes a difference - I don't want to use it as an excuse to avoid my fitness goals but I if I get sick sick then they will be shot for 10 days. Good idea or not?

Also, should I try to work from home later today/tomorrow or even take a day off sick? I work a pretty sedentary desk job and don't get paid sick days. Unsure how stressful it is on my body to come into work (50 min commute).

2. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

Olive leaf extract, sambucol ( elderberry) Vit D if you dont get much sunshine , zinc and REST ! Keep warm will help too.

Orion likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yes - don't spread the love at work.

EN710, Perthguy and krispy like this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Gob down a VitC, Echinadea and Horseraddish/Garlic trio ... then boil yourself up:

6 lemons sliced
    3 garlic cloves crushed
    5 cm sliced fresh ginger
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 litres water
    boil together for 30 minutes
    add 1/2 cup natural honey
    cool and strain and drink the lot within 12 hours

works every time

EN710, Orion and krispy like this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Fixed.

And if it is flu it may be best not to frig around with home remedies and get thyself to a doctor.

If it becomes a medical emergency, I'd want to hear an ambulance siren not the tinkling of calming bells.

Gladys likes this.
  6. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

If they are still questioning if to go to yoga or not im guessing its not the flu. If it is the flu the "home remedies" will also help but yes she a doctor if you are not getting better or if you are worried.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

At lot of people say "flu" when they mean "common cold".

Having had the flu 5 years ago ... never every every again will I claim a cold as "the flu". I literally was bed/ensuite ridden for a week with pains, sweats, chills and eventually willing to just die.

If it's a cold then home remedies will lessen the severity

EN710, Orion, Propagate and 3 others like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A cold left after a visit to the doctor will subside within a week, with rest, hot liquids, home remedies, chicken soup (Asian, Jewish, Euro or store bought) you will feel better in around 7 days.

Joynz likes this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We have great success with a herbal product called Esberitox, an echinacea based combo. Available from chemists. Take it at the first hint of a scratchy throat or sniffle and it will usually stop things getting worse.

As well, take things easy. Don’t ride to work or do strenuous exercise. Give your body a chance to fight the virus.

If you start to feel very unwell, lethargic, aching joints etc it could be influenza. That needs a doctor visit.
    Marg

10. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Massive difference between even a very heavy cold and the Flu. If you cop a dose of the Flu you simply will not be able to get out of bed, never mind attend a yoga session.

11. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly right. If it's a cold ('man-flu') then just as the others have said. Make yourself comfortable, keep hydrated, chicken soup, depending on your symptoms - pills / spray to dry up your runny nose or reduce a fever. You'll get better in 7-10 days - same amount of time as if you did nothing :)

If it's the flu, then one of my staff had good success taking Tamiflu. 1/2 a pill stopped it in its tracks. But it has to be the flu to work (doesn't work on colds apparently). And needs to be taken within 24 hours of your symptoms.

12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Nasal rinse!
    Flush all those yellow toxins out of your nose and throat.
    I find it reduces the severity as well as helping me breathe better as my nose isnt blocked up.

krispy and Marg4000 like this.
  13. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Partner copped a dose of flu year before last, during that epic killer flu season. Blood test confirmed flu and onto a dose of Tami-flu antivirals. Unfortunately, the antivirals don't have much effect unless you're on to them early enough by the time the old clinic she used to go to got the tests sorted she was too far gone, 10 days in bed followed by another 2 weeks of not being good for much at all then 4-6 weeks after that of post viral issues. I was super lucky, I got the early warning signs (fevers sweats and shivers) about 6 days after her tests came back positive so went straight to see my Doc who got me straight on to the Tami Flu antivirals, no messing, I copped one day in bed and about 5 days of fevers but feeling not too bad. Got off very lightly, would have been another story without the antivirals getting in so early.

Propertunity likes this.
  14. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Dunno,.,,,,,,,,,,,,,, havent had a bug of any substance since 2011

krispy likes this.
  15. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Agreed - when I said flu I should have said flu like symptoms. I have had the flu flu once before and yes you feel like you're dying - bedridden, couldn't even bend down to pickup a $100 if one blew in your window.

I'm not 'sick' (yet), but I feel I will get sick unless I'm wise and take things easy.

Heading home now, skipping Yoga and the bike ride. Will work from home tomorrow - hopefully that's enough to side step actually falling sick.

Will also give my nasal rinse a go and my Echinacea/C/Garlic tablets.

Thank you all :)

krispy and Lizzie like this.
  16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Have you had a flu shot?

17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I don’t think mucus is actually a toxin as such! It’s just a by product of a cold.

18. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Update: Good news! I took these steps and woke feeling good today. Am at work feeling fine. Will repeat process tonight just to make sure.

krispy likes this.
  19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

hehe i was just looking to use an alternate word to booger :p

20. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Flu is treatable now days.

If there is a high index of suspicion , can be started on Tamiflu which will turn something from a "really sick for possibly several weeks ' to a 2-3 days sickie

Can go to Dr , get a throat swab - PCR for Virus and the result should be available the next day .

I'm seeing more and more people now days who think they have just a cold and nothing can be done , when in fact they have a severe sinusitis or pneumonia .

Sinusitis may not sound bad , but around 18 months ago , I had a teenager and his parents ignore his bad headache , the sinusitis extended inwards .. towards his brain and he suffered a stroke .

While most URTI's don't require antibiotics , as a community we've well and truly forgotten how many people used to die before antibiotics were around , and that still does happen .

Cliff