Combining Fundamental Analysis and Value Investing?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by MoneyNotorious, 1st Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MoneyNotorious

MoneyNotorious Member

Many have told me that fundamental analysis is a tool of value investing whilst others have said its two different things. I've always seen the two go very closley hand in hand as value investing principles tell us what it should be worth and fundamental analysis tells us how good that company is.

My strategy thus far has been to utilise both. I apply the principles of value investing (such as financial ratios, intrinsic values through DCF etc...) and combine to the principles of fundamental analysis (analyising the company's products, management, financial trends, industry position etc..)

From this, If the company looks to be trading below what I think its actually worth and the fundamentals of that company checks out, I make my intelligent decisions on whether to buy or pass.

Am I wrong? Is there flaw in this logic?
    Is there a major difference between the two and should it be approached separately?

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

does the combination give you any stocks to research further ??

if so what sort of stocks

(examples only )

say RFG or SGH might suggest the experiment has a flaw

if something like BXB or SGP maybe you are close to achieving your goal

please remember some ratios do NOT apply to certain sectors , for example REITs don't give a debt to equity ratio they call it leverage or gearing ( and calculated differently )

give your theory a try , you might have created something new ( or will do if you tweak it correctly )

2 people like this.
  3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member