Combined laundry and pantry

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jas56, 13th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

We are looking to renovate an old house to renovate. At the moment according to plans, there are pantry and Laundry adjacent to the kitchen.

upload_2021-4-13_13-14-5.png

A friend has suggested to remove the wall between the pantry and Laundry to create extra storage space. The image is below. I am worrying about the condensation in the pantry from the washing machine.

Any thoughts about it will be greatly appreciated.

upload_2021-4-13_13-12-52.png

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I love that idea. We are thinking of something similar, but I'm wavering so much that we've put it in the "too hard" basket for now.

I think you mean condensation from the dryer, and not from the washing machine?

We used to have condensation from our dryer but once we ducted it out the wall behind to the outside, that is not an issue at all.

It looks like you have rooms behind the washer/dryer back wall? If os, perhaps duct it out the side, that looks like an external wall.

3. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Thanks Wylie. Yes it is the outside wall next to the washing machine and another bedroom is on the other side of the laundry. I am trying to keep the reno cost low so I am not sure how much extra would ducts cost. or another option I am thinking is to have doors on some cupboards in the pantry. Would that work ?

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

On another note, I see your kitchen plan has all cupboards with opening doors. Please do yourselves a favour and pay the extra to have a bank or two of drawers instead.

craigc and Jas56 like this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I think putting doors on your pantry cupboards defeats the purpose of a space with open shelves. But it should serve your purpose here. In my home, I have a window next to my laundry door which lets out all the steam - I keep it open for most of the year here in Brisbane (depends on your weather).

Jas56 likes this.
  6. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

I really like the plan. I know some people are funny about laundries with kitchens etc but I think its convenient and a good use of space.

Jas56 and Angel like this.
  7. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Different types of dryers (I think they fall into three categories?) produce different amounts of condensation. I’ve had ones that have turned the laundry into a sauna and others that have been fine. I can’t remember which is which but some googling will give the answer.

Jas56 likes this.
  8. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I agree drawers are better almost everywhere. However I've found it's definitely better to have cupboards under the sink - cause over time as you're upgrading it (boiling water systems, filters, mulchers) it's hard to predict how much vertical space you'll need. I think this is really the only exception to the rule though.

Jas56, Stoffo and Angel like this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm a big fan. I do stuff like this quite often.
    If the dryer is a heatpump or condensor it will produce a lot less condensation as they both collect the water rather than expelling it into the air.

Clean Cookie, balwoges and Firefly99 like this.
  10. wylie

Our dryer just has the vent through the back wall, with a little rain cover on the outside. Hubby cut the hole (weatherboard) so it was a very easy thing to do.

11. Westminster

BTW I probably wouldn't have the wall next to the sink and the pantry section unless you need it. I would have one full length bench all the way along one wall then shelves at one end and potentially some shelves above the bench top in the pantry zone so that it can also function as a scullery.

Here is a tiny one that I did - it actually has the dishwasher in there too

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

craigc, Jas56, Stoffo and 1 other person like this.
  12. wylie

@Westminster what is the width of that room, if you know it? We are looking at changing our kitchen and our current laundry is about that size and we must decide whether to keep it in its own butler pantry sized room, or remove the wall between laundry and kitchen and put in a euro laundry. I'm torn.

Our door is in the long wall, so while I'm putting on washing, the door is open. I've been closing the door lately to get a feeling for how it feels to be in such a small space while loading the machine.

I also like the idea of doing this, with the extra storage on the doors to absorb more noise.

Show Tom and Mitch Euro Laundry.png

Jas56 likes this.
  13. Westminster

@wylie it is 1540mm x 2500mm

It's pretty squishy with the dishwasher door open/down but it's an apartment so the dishwasher tends to get used a couple of times a week.

14. wylie

Thanks. I think that might give me my answer. Our current laundry (includes a toilet we plan to remove) is 2700mm x 1460mm. I think we will go for the euro laundry option. I have to keep reminding myself we are doing this for us, and not for a future buyer.

Edit: A developer mate said "you have a large house, so you'd want a bigger laundry", but we aren't planning on selling. Future buyer may put the laundry somewhere else.

15. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Like this?

16. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I never understood the desire for large laundries. I don’t spend more than 5 mins a day in mine, if that.
    Just checked the laundry cupboards, 3/4 of them were empty and the only one that something in it had one container of laundry liquid and one container of vanish.

Last edited: 13th Apr, 2021
  17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My kitchen is similar to your original plan, has a sliding door on laundry but one normal sized door to the WIP. I'd hate to have dirty washing near food, etc. The boys play with cars then wash the grease off in the laundry.

18. wylie

When our boys were young and I was washing for five, I washed daily (front loader). So I never have dirty washing in the laundry. I have a big hamper behind doors in the bathroom, and bring one load at a time and it goes straight into the washing machine.

I reckon if I had a bigger laundry, I'd be messier and probably have dirty clothes there. A euro laundry will work for us because what we have really isn't much bigger than one.

Propin likes this.
  19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes I hear you!! Our current laundry is huge and seems to become the junk room. It’s a pleasure to shut the sliding door.

20. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I have always been curious as to why the laundry is usually located near the kitchen rather than the bedrooms in so many designs when the bedrooms and bathrooms generate most of the washing.

In my parents home (built late 1940's) the laundry was only accessible from the back porch with a laundry hatch allowing washing to be moved to the laundry through the hatch which was located outside the bathroom.

The house also had a nifty little removable cover that allowed the open fire ashes to be swept into a bin down in the garage below.

Last edited: 13th Apr, 2021