Combined Bathroom/Laundry

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ems, 22nd Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

We have an average sized 4x1 single story house in the Perth Hills. We are thinking of adding a shower to the laundry to make another bathroom. There is already a separate toilet. Just a bit concerned it will make it look too pokey as it's only 3m x 1.6m. Anyone done something similar?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Hi @Ems

Those dimensions are actually pretty good. A long skinny rectangle works well for this than a big square.

I would break it into 2 zones and would be nice if you could have a cavity slider in between

Zone 1: Laundry 1600 x 1400mm. This could be behind a cupboard if you like or open. Just a 600 x 1400mm bench with a nice sink that a front loader washer can go under. Consider some overheads if window placements allow. This is one of my small laundries that is those dimensions

[​IMG]

Zone 2: the bathroom area put a nice 1600 x 900 shower in and a 600mm vanity. You can get a 600mm premade vanity from Bunnings or Ikea. They aren't huge but the ones I've used have drawers so still lots of storage. Then use a medicine cabinet mirror above for any other storage

Cibo Design 600mm Coast Veneer Fresh Vanity

Ems likes this.
  3. Westminster

PS if you don't put a cavity slider in between and have the laundry part open then you might not need the additional vanity and can use the trough as the basin if you get one that looks nice.

Ems likes this.
  4. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

Thanks @Westminster
    Here's our current layout. Would you put the shower where the current laundry tub is or closer to the internal door?
    20181223_105552.jpg 20181223_105722.jpg 20181223_105544.jpg

5. Westminster

Are you happy to lose the sliding door? Where the trough is would be the perfect spot as it the toilet is then included into the space making it a complete zone.

The placement of the door into the laundry does make it a bit harder to do. You could gut the linen and put the new laundry in there but you'd need to run the plumbing over there which would be more expensive then running it further along from where the trough is. How attached are you to the doorway - if it could move over to be next to the linen it would work so much better

6. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

Not attached to the sliding door so we could lose that but what would you put there? It would be expensive to move the doorway wouldn't it?

7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

8. Westminster

I was thinking that would be a good spot for the shower along that wall?

I moved my parents doorway to their ensuite by 600mm and put in a cavity slider an it was surprisingly cheap. All up including the new door it was around $1000 and so much more functional now their tiny bathroom doesn't have a door swinging into it and meant they could have a full length vanity along one wall now that the door doesn't swing onto that wall

Ems and datto like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Can you move the laundry somewhere else? That will leave more room for the 2nd bathroom.

I need a 2nd bathroom in my place. Existing laundry currently under main roof. Convert that to a 2nd bathroom. Enclose rear balcony and move laundry there or to kitchen or to the back garage.

There are many places to put the laundry.

Ems likes this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

You could use the laundry sink as the vanity?? Where does the dryer go though? To be fair, its the dryer that spews out all the dust/lint.

11. Westminster

options

1. leave door as is (I know it doesn't swing this way but my software is stupid). Washer hooks up waste pipe to vanity basin so all is concealed with washer taps located in vanity cupboard

upload_2018-12-26_16-47-32.png

Option 2: move the doorway along. You could have some overheads above the washing machine zone. If you wanted you could reduce the vanity/laundry section and probably still fit your upright freezer in there next to the door

upload_2018-12-26_16-51-9.png

Ems likes this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Dryer attaches the the wall above the washer. Mine doesn't spew out any lint or dust, hardly anything.

13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

It shouldn’t.
    Clean the filter after every use.
    Marg

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When we ducted our dryer though the wall to the outside it stopped the build up of condensation that used to be annoying. Any fluff that did escape the filter would stick to the walls due to the condensation. Cleaning the filter (as others have said) every load or two stops the fluff building up (and minimises the fire risk).

Islay likes this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Mine's almost 12 yrs old. Maybe that's why??

16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

What's the solution for perennial laziness lol?

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand the question?

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

A wife

wylie likes this.
  19. Westminster

@Lacrim the solution is to get rid of your old school dryer and upgrade to a heat pump dryer. No fluff, no condensation and doesn't heat up the area around it AND uses less electricity. It will cost you more than a normal one but go for it.
    Yes you will still need to clean the lint filter but it's better in the lint filter than all over the laundry.

Lacrim and Islay like this.
  20. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

So completing close off the entry there? (Sliding door entry)