colourbond roof

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Allgood, 3rd Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Hi all,

The house that is now our PPOR had a new colour bond roof put on in 2010 and it has already started to fade. It's not peeling or rusting, just lighter than it was. You can see the difference in the gutters etc.

I know colourbond advertise their guarantee but looking on their website Im not sure if it covers fading? It looks as if its more about scaling, peeling etc.

Has anyone had any experience with this? The colour is deep ocean (blue). I'll try to ring them during business hours and see what they say, but I think I already know the answer.

Regards,
    Allgood.

2. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

They had a lot of problems with the blue - you should definitely contact them as it might even be covered by their defect clause?

3. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

really? Thanks Hobo, I'll certainly chase it up. Do you have any links to any other discussion or news about it?

4. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

No, sorry, just heard from a couple of builders who warned us that the blue colour had had issues, and have also myself seen plenty of blue roofs with stripey/patchy pale sections. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone personally who's had the issue (we have a blue colourbond roof on our granny flat, but so far it's ok) so I have no idea if the ones I've seen be replaced, were done by the owners or covered under warranty.

Hope you get a good resolution. You could try pointing out that it's not just overall fading, which I don't believe they say they cover, but that you're unhappy with the inconsistancy / patchiness (ie the paint has "failed" in certain sections). Worth a try, anyway - good luck.

Edit: Of course, this is assuming yours is fading in the same way I've seen, rather than just across the whole roof... the worst case I've seen looked like a very light blue (almost white) + mid blue candy-striped roof.

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Is it blue or ironstone?

6. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Not sure if you meant that question for the OP, @larrylarry, but FYI my understanding is the ones with issues were all Deep Ocean, not Ironstone.

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have ironstone for my grannyflat and will change my main house from tiles to ironstone.

8. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I have Colorbond on all my houses. I always get Surf Mist as it doesn't show fade and can take a little dirt and still look the same. I've seen some shocking fade jobs on the blue. IMO it brings down the street appeal and makes the house look less "looked after" with a faded roof. I'm in Qld so a whitish roof to me reflects heat, but that could be all in my head.:D

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Check if it is colorbond. The others don't carry the same warranties.

Also has a lesser warranty if near water.

10. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

there are plenty of steel coloured rooves that have major fading issues especially grey here in SA for some reason. Grey seems to go slightly green then fades to almost galv colour in stripes ??
    Maybe an issue with the bonding of colour however its pretty major.

11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The temperature on a light roof is about half that on a dark roof.

12. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the white colour works TOO well - it makes the roof just cool enough for mould/mildew to grow.

AFAIK, no other colours have the same problem.

13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

o_O So better to go for pale to mid range?

14. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Well, I guess it's a choice - I love the look of a crisp white roof but I'd hesitate to do it again (we have a white roof and it has needed a good clean every few years - it just gets big black patches on it).

While a dark roof won't really suit our house colour, I will definitely be looking at non-white options if/when we have to replace the roof.

Edit: Maybe it also depends on where you are? It's definitely an issue in QLD...

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Some councils will require that colorbond roofs be 'environmentally friendly' colours ie no blues, reds, blacks etc but greens, greys & browns

16. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I'm in Qld and have no dramas. Do you have overhanging trees?

17. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Yes, we have those restrictions but only on the hillslopes overlay areas. Sadly, we don't have a view. :D

No we don't, @Sonamic. Maybe it's a wet tropics / humidity / rain thing as well...? But it still only happens to the white ones.

18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Probably wouldn't have that humidity problem out my way.
    I'm imagining big leaves and mango trees etc creating a bit of an environment w here you are. But wouldn't it be easy enough to clean with a high pressure hose and a broom?

19. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Scrubbing brush and hose, yes. Broom doesn't quite do it. And "easy" isn't how I would describe it either!

It's still an added hassle that, as fair as I can tell, only comes with white roofs.

WattleIdo likes this.