Collecting money owed

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by RumpledElf, 9th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

To be fair, the entire sector has dropped. There's a lot more competitors out there.

At the right time. He's getting a chance first.

2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

I don't bother even chasing people anymore. Gave up on that years ago when a brickie wanted me to design his development, and after asking me to "sharpen my pencil a bit" stiffed me for the lot. Made me drive around to his house after serving a debt collection notice to pick up the cheque and parked next to his new Bentley....

Now, they get 30 days as per the invoice. Then it's off to small claims.

4 out of the 5 times the defendant hasn't shown, so automatic judgement for me.

I send a copy of the notice and a "forthwith" (48hours) notice. Each time they have been ignored. Then I send the bailiff around with a Seizure and Sale order. It usually ends with them impounding a car or a trailer and auctioning it off. All this effort is added to their bill too - legally.

Except this one little buzztard that has slipped everyone and even the cops can't track him down - but his bill just grows and grows....

Kate Moloney, charttv and Terry_w like this.
  3. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Wow, just read this thread. People can be awful. Good luck RumpledElf!!

4. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

We have one guy that's owed us money almost 2 years now was about $1000 now down to about $200. Every time we try to start a claim he pays some dismal amount to make it look like he's trying. He was a good customer of ours for 10+years before this. So now he just gets a random call every now and again to tell him how **** he is

5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hahaha amazing. well played

Aaron Sice likes this.
  6. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Thing is @sanj - the system is designed around recouping money quickly and efficiently.

It only takes about 6 weeks total to get a car or trailer or boat to auction and another 28 days to finalise after that. Quicker and far less painful than chasing all the time.

My income protection insurance rate drops too.

sanj likes this.
  7. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

It seems to happen a lot in the punjabi community especially with people seeking to become permanent residents.

8. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

Good luck with everything. At least you got a lesson and some experience, although not ideal.