Cockroaches from outside

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by RogerP, 26th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Tenant have just moved in and have mentioned in the condition report they've found some cockroaches. It's coming from outside the house - primarily from the yard and garden and they recommend pest control.

I live in the same suburb, I also notice we have cockroaches inside and outside our house sometimes. I honestly think it might just be wherever we live is near an area where it's the natural habitat for these cockroaches. I don't think the house is infested with cockroaches but you do spot one every now and then.

For my own house, I just went and got some surface spray from Bunnings and sprayed around the perimeter of the home - it was mainly to get rid of spiders but it might help with the cockroaches?

Is there anything I can or should do? Can you get rid of cockroaches if they're coming from outside? If I use the surface spray or get someone in, it might only work for 3 - 6 months. Am I obligated to continually get the place sprayed or would after that, it'd be the tenant's responsibility?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I’d pay for a gel treatment and then make sure you have them keep up with maintaining it through the tenancy. We ask tenants to do a treatment as they go out so we usually don’t have to keep paying for it. Tenants get a pest free house courtesy of us initially and then do the treatment as they leave So next tenant has a pest free house courtesy of the outgoing tenant. Seems to work well.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Which type?

And is the house on stumps or a slab.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Call the guy
    theguy.png

datto, Michael Mitchell and luckyone like this.
  5. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

They've already moved in and lease is agreed so I don't think I could get them to do it before they leave. Also doesn't seem to be a common thing in Canberra - carpet cleaning is very common here but never seen pest control as a thing to do after each tenancy. However, maybe I could do it for future tenants...

6. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Pest control is not really something that's an obligation on either party. At most, its arguably a lessor's responsibility at the start of the tenancy - but certainly not on an ongoing basis.

I generally am happy to do pest control for any ingoing tenants of mine.

Note that this is assuming the pest control is not a maintenance issue (such as a bee hive in the walls).

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

We get those in Melbourne too. I don’t think that pest ‘treatment’ (aka poisoning) is such a big thing here in Victoria.

I had some tenants complain about spiders outside the house and didn’t do anything (spiders and other insects are vital for a healthy world, so I’m not killing any I don’t have to!)

I did read an article that said that native cockroaches (as in your photo) look bad, but are actually harmless and not ‘dirty’.

When I had some small cockroach visitors at my house though, I let off some of the cockroach ‘bombs’ in the subfloor - and I would consider doing something if tenants had an infestation.

gman65 likes this.
  9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The pro pest guys use this: DuPont Advion Cockroach Gel Bait

If you can get your hands on it, place it around the house.

10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Canberra is getting cold, so if they are like the one's you linked maybe they are cold.

If they are quite small ones, inside around the kitchen then they are German, will breed quickly and most likely came in a cardboard box the tenants used to move.

If they weren't there before, but are now it's all on the tenant.

You could send them an old shoe......

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

OP could send the tenants some giant spiders that will eat the cockroaches :D:D:D

Wife cleaned out some big spiderwebs in our patio the other day - all sorts of flying insects started coming into the house (insect screen not withstanding!!)

The Y-man

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Right . I’m not sure if this works but it may be worth a try.

Try explaining to tenants the negative effects of agriculture on our world and the abundance of protein in our little critter friends.

Grab a wok, splash some oil, some hydro veges, a couple of bugs and a few beers. They may change their thinking.

13. Barcelona

Barcelona Well-Known Member

There are indoor cockroaches and there cockroaches that live outside.: https//www2.health.vic.gov.au/public-health/environmental-health/pesticide-use-and-pest-control/common-pests-in-victoria/cockroaches-pest-control#:~:text=Australian%20cockroach%20(Periplaneta%20australasiae)&text=Australian%20cockroaches%20are%20most%20commonly,or%20leaf%20litter%20in%20gardens.

I have used Mortein Kill & Protect Barrier outdoor surface spray after an infestation of redbacks. You spray it around the house about once a year. I found it worked.

In Victoria, pest control is the responsibility of the landlord. But wait for them to ask for a pest extermination. Then do it . In the meantime, remind them that cockroaches are attracted to dirty floors and leftover food lying around.

14. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

We had a similar issue recently, it as quite a new property but front door/garage was in a laneway with quite a lot of cockroaches around. We ended up negotiating for owner and tenant to each pay 50% (was like $65 each) so they were both happy.

Marg4000 likes this.
  15. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

what did you get done? $130 sounds incredibly cheap.

16. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

We had our usual pest company come and do a general pest spray inc barrier spray, was a 2 bedroom townhouse so not a large property.

Should also mention that tenancy was less than 3 months old - if the cockroaches were German the spray would have cost more and we would have pushed back as they weren't present at ingoing.

17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

“Don’t shoot them. Let them burn”

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We will pay for ingoing tenants. After that, it's their responsibility.